Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Step by step by step...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
killerbeem

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are nowhere near that cold here, but it is normally in the 60's, and I think it is about 50 or so, and will only get 58. It's the North wind that kills me, thankfully the door is not facing north, it faces west, so I stay a little warmer.

I don't envy your cold very much at all, but I will tell you that I love that weather, but just as much as I love the heat.

And I stepped on my torque wrench! Not on purpose, and it is not normally left there, but now I have to go buy another one...

Oh well, almost done with dissassembly, about to start re-assembly..

MK
1984 325e - Rachel (Sold)
BMWCCA Member
Find me on Twitter: @mkilpatric
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

killerbeem

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, in verifying my steps today (did I mention I love PelicanParts.com?), I was reviewing an article that details the head gasket replacement, and I seem to need to stop speed reading.

Quote:
Before you remove the cylinder head, lock the engine at top dead center (TDC) for cylinder number 1 to accurately time the camshafts when you reassemble the engine. There is a special tool that needs to be inserted into a hole in the engine block, which then mates with a corresponding hole in the flywheel. The intake manifold has been removed in this photo (see our intake manifold removal article), and the yellow arrow indicates the general area where the tool needs to be inserted (see also Photo 4). You can rotate the engine’s crankshaft by placing a 22-millimeter deep socket on the front pulley and rotating clockwise (photo inset). Install the camshaft alignment tool (see our article on Camshaft Timing and Vanos Unit Installation). If your camshaft alignment tool doesn’t seem to fit, your car may have had the camshaft timing tweaked as part of a BMW service campaign to correct an uneven idle (affected engines built up to August 1992). Loosen the tool to allow it to fit in this situation.

Note the mention of a special tool? there is a pic there, and looking at them, I am realizing, a. Don't have THAT tool, and b. Is there a way to do this and NOT have that tool, and not risk messing the timing up?

MK
BMWCCA Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
killerbeem

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I answered my own question. ALTHOUGH most of the steps are the same, I realized that some of the ones they did were for the good ol' e36... whoops. Silly me.
BMWCCA Member
kyshadetreebmw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am ashamed to say that my post this morning about when to change t-belt was incorrect. The recommended interval is 4 years or 60k miles. Sleep deprivation causes difficulty in synapse transmissions. Sorry 85! But I bet you will be OK..... 4 years is also the time specified that tires should be replaced despite mileage or wear. It has to do with rubber breaking down especially with exposure to sun..... Blah Blah, anyway I hope too many folks didn't say, "What an idiot!"
killerbeem

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, not what an idiot, but more like, wait, when was this one last replaced? Oh who cares, I bought a new one anyway!

Ha...
BMWCCA Member
85-325e

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always garaged, has only been exposed to "sun" for 10 hours, and it's in coinstantly in very cool storage. The only issue is that it's DRY up here at 9,000' and dry's always a pain int he butt with rubber!

I'll do it this summer, but I doubt 1-2000 miles is going to make much difference at this point.

Thanks Ron...

killerbeem

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok peeps, here is the deal:

1. It took 6 hours Saturday, 9 hours on Sunday, and 4 hours on Monday, but I tore it down, cleaned it up, and put it back together.

2. I learned a few things while in their.

3. There are parts in the engine compartment that although I knew how it all went back together, I am REALLY not sure what their function is, so I have pictures, and I will be uploading them to a seperate thread and be asking questions about them.

4. I have a reason to believe the oil leak I was tracking (sadly, I did NOT do the leakdown test, I discovered this bit of info after the engine was in pieces.) was not because of a head gasket issue. I poured over the gasket when I pulled it out, and could find NO evidence of a worn, damaged, or blown area. What I DID find, was that the #1 and #2 head bolt were near finger loose. I had to struggle (carefully) to break all 12 other bolts free, but not those two. I basically just turned the wrench. Why is this important? Well, my theory is that the middle was loose enough to allow oil through in that area, which just happens to be where the oil was coming from, but ONLY on the exhaust side, I could never find any evidence of leakage on the intake side.

What I did change out while in there:

Gaskets. I left the cam and valves alone this time, that will be later.
Timing Belt / Tensioner
Distributer Cap
Rotor
Cleaned every spot of oil, grime, and dirt biuild up I could get my over-large hands into

I took some photos, and then realized that I accidentally deleted the ones I was making for a step - by - step...

Dang.

It was fun though, and let me tell you, I will do it again...
BMWCCA Member
Pirate323i

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Killerbeem,
Don't be worried that you couldn't see where the leak was... I blew the headgasket in mine just after Christmas (when I was about 1000Km from home..) and when I pulled the gasket, there was no sign of where it had been leaking! And I had had serious amounts of water through the oil, with the resulting "mayonnaise" under the tappet cover, so it was DEFINITELY leaking.
The repairs took me a week, while I waited for parts to come in... not a great holiday... Rolling Eyes

1989 318i M52B25 24v swap
1989 318i great little car
1983 323i same as picture only red! - Now gone...
1983 323i Written off by some fool running a red light... RIP.
killerbeem

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the weird part, I did not have the mayonnaise (I call it coffe with too much cream...). There was never any mixture at all, complete seperation altogether...

I feel your pain though... but at least you live in Australia, no worries there...

MK
BMWCCA Member
tncean

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on a tough job.

t
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: