Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clutch Helper Spring - Needed or not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> M Cars Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AuburnRyan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Clutch Helper Spring - Needed or not? Reply with quote

1st post Smile on here.

So ran has some good info on removing the ///M sesier helper springs, and "upgrading" to the non ///M spring- but is this part even necessary?

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/drivetrain/e36_remove_clutch_pedal_slop.html

Had my '99 M3 for almost a year, clutch pedal effort has required some force (more than I expected) since purchase. Recently replaced Master cylinder due to a broken part, and never put back in my helper spring "over center helper spring from 3/97" type. Clutch pedal effort feels the same without it, and pedal is returning fine. So do I even need to wrestle this part back in if I'm not perceiving this part to reduce leg effort?

Will the master cylinder itself take care of all engagement/disengagement, or am i slowly startign the death of some associated part by not installing a helper spring?

TIA

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
edjack

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The helper spring ensures that the linkage is positively disengaged when the pedal is up. Otherwise, you run the risk of no free-pedal, which can wear out the throwout bearing, and even cause clutch slippage.

The springs inside the master and slave cylinders are only designed to put tension on internal components.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> M Cars Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: