Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help removing intake manifold
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyshadetreebmw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vertical tube will fall out as you take the manifold out. It is spring loaded and just sits in its openings., You need a third hand to get it back in place when you remount the manifold.. I THINK that the dipstick tube is held on by a screw/clamp device at its base...

idanity

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that oil return tube is spring loaded, and most likely frozen.

soak it w/pbBlaster for a few hours, and simply twist it, then push it down. it can be bent, so dont use a hammer, but it is strong enough to use a slight force from vice grips if need be. (w/the help of pbBlaster).

you will want new seals for that too.
whiskeybravo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in trying to get the tube out, I ended up just bending it slightly outward. That turned out to be just enough to let me get the manifold out, so it's finally off the head!!! Of course it was only off for about 10 minutes as I polished up the surfaces, put the new gaskets on, and put the manifold right back where it was.

Next concern, torque. To get to many of the nuts, I have to use one or two extensions and often times a universal joint. I have been told by friends at work, that when using all those devices, the torque values are not nearly as accurate. I'd like to hear any suggestions you all have to overcome this problem.

Thanks so much for helping me this far!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: