Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Convertible top headliner trouble
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdob28

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: Convertible top headliner trouble Reply with quote

Is anyone else having trouble with their convertible headliner bunching up on the forward lip of the stowage compartment while trying to stow your top? Both my 94 and 98 have this trouble. I have to stop the stowage door and tuck the liner past the lip, otherwise the lid will stick up. I've looked around the web but can't find anything on this problem.
walshja

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem, and I do the same thing as you, I pause the process, neatly fold the top down, the complete the process.

I have not begun to look into this problem, hopefully someone has a solution !!

joe

1994 325iC, 195k miles
http://home.comcast.net/~walshja/index.html <--- check it out

Fitz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't quote me on this as I've not got round to testing it yet, but I heard it's down to the metal support bar at the front breaking. A thin bar runs across the roof lining, it's located about the middle of the door and runs from side to side. Mine is broken and I understand it's a common failure. The failure causes the lining to sag. The sagging is exaggerated when the roof folds and takes off the slack and therefore does not fit inside the stowage compartment properly. I've never got round to looking as the lid only sits slightly proud and does not bother me.
Occasionaly it will not drop enough to trigger the micro sensor so the boot remains locked, but you simply push down on the lid on the right hand corner to trigger the sensor and the boot will open.
walshja

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if that is causing the problem you are facing.

I also had the problem where the liner was coming off the support bar.

there is a U shaped clamp, that goes the width of the car, and attaches up onto the bar which goes across the car as you described. it holds the liner up.

well, that clap loses strength over time and begins to separate from the bar, causing the headliner to drop, or sag.

I was able to very easily fix that problem with a drill and several garbage bag ties. the fix is perfect, took about 20 minutes to do, and cost me nothing. so don't buy anything to fix this from the dealer or anyone else. let me know if you want to details on the fix, again, it is simple.

BUT, even after fixing that problem, I still need to tuck the top into place when lowering. this problem never prevented the cover from closing properly, it just didn't look good, so maybe you have a slightly different problem.

hope that helps.

joe

1994 325iC, 195k miles

jdob28

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a common problem. I'll look at these suggestions this weekend then get back to you.
ozarkbikeracer1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem. Not only that one, but I have to get out twice when lowering my top. When it's getting ready to tuck in, I stop it and flatten out the plastic rear window, as it wants to put in a crease, not fold down roundly. After the top lowers completely, then I have to tuck in the front fold of the top before closing the lid. That being said, I LOVE this car! Even more than my 2001 330ci, which is much faster and handles much better than my '96 328. This one is so much more fun to drive!
Fitz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozarkbikeracer1 wrote:
I have the same problem. Not only that one, but I have to get out twice when lowering my top. When it's getting ready to tuck in, I stop it and flatten out the plastic rear window, as it wants to put in a crease, not fold down roundly. After the top lowers completely, then I have to tuck in the front fold of the top before closing the lid. That being said, I LOVE this car! Even more than my 2001 330ci, which is much faster and handles much better than my '96 328. This one is so much more fun to drive!

I have both those problems. Just gave up in the end and lower the roof regardless, it only sits very fractionally proud and the window is creased so it's not going to get any better by getting out and folding it correctly.
rusmorr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: folding down Reply with quote

I have this problem too but it only started after I replaced the plastic window as the original went yellow. The new one doesn`t have the folding profile yet so I am just folding it manually and try to keep the top down in hot weather when the window is warm and soft and leaving it to get cold that way (I am hoping this is a good idea and will work in time)
wolin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: roof fold down needs folding in Reply with quote

roof fold down needs tucking in on my 328i convertible aswell. some one please find out why or how this is to be fixed. i would be so grateful.
RobertHuber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject: Convertible top headliner trouble Reply with quote

Joe,

'94 BMW 318i Convertible. Same body as your 328i.

I read your answer with interest. My plastic clips (look like hula hoop sections!) which clip to the top frame are totally split and worthless. Can't drive with the top up now.
I chickened out and bought the BMW repair kit with th metal clips & screws, but I don't see any way in heck to get a drill in to drill all the holes, and I see even less way to screw in the first clips to the rail, and then have enough slack to screw in the front set.

Can you provide more explanation and/or pictures?

Any one else have details of how the factory guys suggest using the kit?

Thanks in advance.
Bob Huber
SF Bay Area

walshja wrote:
not sure if that is causing the problem you are facing.

I also had the problem where the liner was coming off the support bar.

there is a U shaped clamp, that goes the width of the car, and attaches up onto the bar which goes across the car as you described. it holds the liner up.

well, that clap loses strength over time and begins to separate from the bar, causing the headliner to drop, or sag.

I was able to very easily fix that problem with a drill and several garbage bag ties. the fix is perfect, took about 20 minutes to do, and cost me nothing. so don't buy anything to fix this from the dealer or anyone else. let me know if you want to details on the fix, again, it is simple.

BUT, even after fixing that problem, I still need to tuck the top into place when lowering. this problem never prevented the cover from closing properly, it just didn't look good, so maybe you have a slightly different problem.

hope that helps.

joe
walshja

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Bob

OK, I am going to try and explain my cheap and easy fix for the sagging headliner on an E36 convertible.

If you raise/lower the top to the halfway position that should give you easy access to the sagging headliner, specifically the part of the convertible top which is (or was) attached to the frame rails.

The part you are looking for is a U shaped plastic piece which runs the length of the convertible top cross rail and snaps up onto the cross rail. On mine the U shaped plastic clamp piece detached from the rail on both sides, the middle remained attached. What you need to do is drill a hole on both sides of the U clamp, then run a piece of wire through 1 side, up and over the frame rail, then through the other hole in the U shaped piece, pull it tight so the U shaped piece gets pulled up tight on the rail. Give the wire a twist to lock it in place and you're done. Do this on every rail, both sides, in which the headliner detached.

The U clamp is made of plastic and is very easy to drill through, I used my Dremel because it's small and was easy to handle in the tight spot. On some pieces I used garbage bag ties, the metal kind, and when I ran out of garbage ties I used plain old wire.

don't laugh, I'm not a graphic designer, but I attempted to sketch out what I did:

and here are actual pictures of the fix, but it is difficult to really what was done

http://home.comcast.net/~walshja/BMWheadlinerclip.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~walshja/BMWheadlinerclip2.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~walshja/BMWheadlinerclip3.JPG

hope that helps, and ask questions if my explanation didn't make any sense

1994 325iC, 195k miles

RobertHuber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Joe.
The pictures actually are helpful . Clear enough making holes through the plastic "hula hoop" clamp/clip tubing .
I am still a little vague in my brain about how I am going to be able to get in between the top and the headliner to do the second clamp after I I have laced up and tightened the first.
Maybe it will become obvious.

I'll report back as the project progresses.

Thanks for your generous extra effort!

Bob Huber
'94 318i Convert
'97 318i Sedan
walshja

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I think you will only need to fix the ends of the U clamps, 1 fix on each side of the car. hopefully the middle of your car is still attached.

is that not the case?

1994 325iC, 195k miles

RobertHuber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress report -
As it turns out, one of the ends was loose and completely split along the stitch perforation lines where the headliner fabric was stitched (duh) to the plastic u clamp/hoop. It looked like split a bamboo end, about 5" long going from the outside towards the center. NOT a great design.
On that same one, because the stitching was no longer there, the headliner fabric was completely detached for about the same distance and hanging completely down. ( I will have to try to glue that back to the repaired plastic hoop later).

And on the rearmost plastic clamp/hoop, it was loose and bent quite a few inches from each end with a crack exactly in the center.

I used a variation on your suggestion, and did not use the BMW supplied $50 kit, because it would not work in my case. But I DID see their intentions, and it would work cleanly in many situations.
(It's for sale if anybody wants to buy it)
BTW, the factory kit does NOT require drilling through the top frames as I had feared and envisioned, but holes are only drilled through the plastic tubing.

I will post mediocre iPhone photos as soon as I am able and figure out how to do it.

I used nylon locking tie wraps. and instead of drilling holes near the TOP of the plastic channels (nearest the top material) like you did, I decided I needed to drill through holes as close to where the headliner is stitched. I then laced the tie-wraps through those holes and up and around the top frames, fully encircling and reinforcing the split tubing .

On the rearmost one above the rear window there were two pre-drilled holes, one of which had a pre-painted hole in the frame into which I placed a screw.

I also found the front-most plastic tubing was getting a little loose on the ends, so I drilled and tied those as well.
I went from the front hoop and progressively on each hoop going towards the back of the car. That gave me enough slack to get my regular electric drill in between the headliner and the top and drill each tubing/Clamp.
Also, the stupid disintegrating plastic liner kept getting caught on the drill bit, slowing things down.

The plastic was very hard and slippery, so having a very sharp 1/16" drill to make a pilot hole was an absolute necessity on all except the rear one.
I then drilled a slightly larger hole to allow the tie wraps to be threaded.
I had enough black tie wraps, so I used those mostly and they are mostly invisible.

All in all, if the only problem initially had been the loose ends on the rearmost and the next hoop forward, the BMW kit would work more easily and just as well. It would be a time saver over all, except for trying to figure out the stupid useless instruction sheet.
But it was not invented by an Einstein. <G>

Pictures to go with this later.....

Bob Huber
'94 E36 Convert 76K mi.
walshja

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, are you all fixed now? I hope so !!

In the future, I think driving with the top up, and windows down is what causes the headliner to separate from the top, the wind gets right in there and causes the damage.

Just an FYI, so you don't ruin your fix !!!

1994 325iC, 195k miles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: