Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Badly folding rear window cure?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fitz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Badly folding rear window cure? Reply with quote

Thought I'd post on here as there seem to be more vert owners due to the nicer weather you get over in the US.

When lowering my roof, the rear window creases and has left a wrinkled look in the middle. In the hot weather it begins to disappear but 99% of the time it just looks horrible and does partially obstruct my reward view.

I know about 6 months before buying the car, the screen was replaced so I'm wondering if it was a cheap imitation? I don't know if the genuine BMW ones have the BMW logo on it???

I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and cured it?

I'm wondering if a new screen, genuine one, would fix this or if it's actually something else causing it.

Any ideas?
walshja

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Pete

I have the same problem, and it is caused from lowering the top in cold weather. the plastic cannot bend when cold. I once heard from someone that if you go out with a hair dryer, and warm it up, the fogging may go away, might be worth a shot.

my window is actually split open, to where you can stick your hand into my car, rain, snow, bird droppings, all can get easily get in. I have the top down until the temperature reaches the 40's, then when I raise it, because it is so cold, it cracks and stay foggy as you described.

bottom line, my rear window is shot, it looks like crap, and I am fighting getting it fixed, cause I know it will simply happen again over time. the dog ears on the liner are shot as well. other than those problems the top is in near perfect condition, the cloth material looks brand new and is holding up nicely. I do garage the car so I am sure that helps.

I have gotten used to having zero rear visibility during the cold months now, but everyone makes fun of the car. since i keep the rest of the car pretty spotless, it really stands out like a sore thumb.

replacing the window sounds like a real pain in the ass to do. you need to buy 2 special tools, and have someone there to help you, and you need to do it in warm weather. problem is when the weather gets warm the top is always down, so I never think about fixing it, until it gets cold out and put the top up, and I start seeing the cracked window again, but it's too cold to replace at that point . . . see how complicated my life is !!!! lol

i just need to bite the bullet and get it done . . .

joe

1994 325iC, 195k miles
http://home.comcast.net/~walshja/index.html <--- check it out

Fitz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My window is not really foggy, it just has a creased section in the middle of the window where the left side wants to fold one way and the right wants to fold the other. I'll try and get a picture of the problem.

The typical foggy line running left to right can be fixed by using some car paint renovator, such as T Cut. BMW also sell a plastic window renovator to polish in to the window and remove this line.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: