Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

e36 keyless remote install

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkk919

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: e36 keyless remote install Reply with quote

Hi all.
I have a 97 e36 (5sp, 4 dr).
Have always wanted the keyless option.
Now have a lead on a used '99 M3 keyless option. No key fob (but I understand I can buy a new one and have it learn the codes).

Question. Will this plug right into my factory non-M harness and work?

I'm assuming it will but would appreciate some assurance before I start taking stuff apart.

Also, I'm not sure what the diff. between the keyless and alarm/keyless option is, aside from the obvious (ie. alarm).
Does the keyless option flash the lights when arming/disarming like the alarm one?
Does the keyless option allow for double locking?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: e36 keyless remote install Reply with quote

I think it will work. On my '93 the connector is behind the clove box. Check the Schemo in Bently for the '97 and the '99 to see if the interface connector has the same number of pins.

If you get the model number of the unit you are considering, the dealer may be able to tell you which features it has.

Here is a link to a company which sells the key fob remotes:

http://www.keylessride.com/?gad=CJvGopsDEgjXWl_FlMkCdxj0kcD_AyC30pwf

They have the OEM replacements as well as their own aftermarket units.

I bought the aftermarket one for my wife's e32. It was way cheaper and way better than the OEM. It had real switches vs the funky conductive rubber things in the OEM fob. It had a SAW stablized RF oscillator vs. the simple LC oscillator in the OEM.

An other Option is to call Crutchfield and get a whole new unit. I belive they supply the mating connector to the car so it is fairly plug and play.

Phil

jkk919 wrote:
Hi all.
I have a 97 e36 (5sp, 4 dr).
Have always wanted the keyless option.
Now have a lead on a used '99 M3 keyless option. No key fob (but I understand I can buy a new one and have it learn the codes).

Question. Will this plug right into my factory non-M harness and work?

I'm assuming it will but would appreciate some assurance before I start taking stuff apart.

Also, I'm not sure what the diff. between the keyless and alarm/keyless option is, aside from the obvious (ie. alarm).
Does the keyless option flash the lights when arming/disarming like the alarm one?
Does the keyless option allow for double locking?

Thanks in advance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: