Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brake Light Failure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreenE36at180

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Brake Light Failure Reply with quote

Anybody got ant ideas on total brake light failure on a 1997 328 sports coupe? Note a have changed all the bulbs, and all my other lights work.
geminiys

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be the Break Light Switch. Do a search on this topic and you will find a lot of info. on it.
PJK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Light Failure Reply with quote

Are the lights really not working or is it just the display. If they are really out check the fuse as well as the switch. If it is just the display just order the switch. Get a good one. The mentioned string gives the good and bad brand. I don't remember which is good or which is bad.

Phil

GreenE36at180 wrote:
Anybody got ant ideas on total brake light failure on a 1997 328 sports coupe? Note a have changed all the bulbs, and all my other lights work.
paxcam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all three brake lights won't illuminate (left, right & high center) then it's most likely the brake light switch under the stalk of the brake pedal at the bracket.

It's part #7 in the diagram
http://bmwfans.info/original/E36/Lim/328i-M52/USA/L/A/1996/01/mg-35/ill-35_0252/

As previous poster said, search and ye shall find plenty of info on the technique for replacement.

If only left or right lights aren't lighting, then let me suggest you pull the tail light assemblies and use a dremel motor to polish-up the contact plate. BMW used low-quality tin for this part and it has a tendency to corrode due to moisture and often prevents electrical current from passing through it.

I saved one of my tail lights from the trash heep by simply cleaning up all the contact points.

Good luck
willdoown

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brake lights are helpful during the day and night visibility is essential for the purpose. They are so important because it is very easy to visual cues is slowing a car immediately, rather than intuitively judge a car slow down or not. No brake lights, trying to determine the car is to maintain speed or slow down is very difficult.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: