Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

30,000 hits. Journey to the Center of the Earth: OIL LOG
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a hundred years I'd never have guessed that my family values guys would go down this road. I was expecting a hurricane or a Chinese SUV.

Meanwhile, we get sex, rock and roll, and booze...

And if you want to read documents from over here...

Report Says Oil Agency Ran Amok
Document: Investigation of MMS Director, Gregory W. Smith
Document: Investigation of MMS Oil Marketing Group

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/10/AR2008091001829.html?hpid=topnews

Interior Dept. Inquiry Finds Sex, Corruption

By Derek Kravitz and Mary Pat Flaherty
Washington Post Staff Writers
Thursday, September 11, 2008; Page A01

Government officials in charge of collecting billions of dollars worth of royalties from oil and gas companies accepted gifts, steered contracts to favored clients and engaged in drug use and illicit sex with employees of the energy firms, federal investigators reported yesterday.

THIS STORY
Document: Investigation of MMS Director, Gregory W. Smith
Document: Investigation of MMS Oil Marketing Group
View All Items in This Story
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Just the facts, mamm"*

*attributed to Sgt. Friday

and just who is... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Friday

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/12/AR2008091200506.html?hpid=moreheadlines

Gasoline Rises on Ike, but Crude Dips Below $100

By MADLEN READ
The Associated Press
Friday, September 12, 2008; 2:32 PM

NEW YORK -- Gasoline prices jumped at the wholesale level Friday as Hurricane Ike swept through Gulf of Mexico, prompting companies along the Texas coast to shut down refining and drilling operations.

Crude oil on the futures market, however, briefly sank below the psychologically important $100-a-barrel mark for the first time since April 2 _ showing that investors believe a worsening global economy will continue to drive down demand for some time in the United States and elsewhere.

The fact that U.S. fuel demand is so weak right now might mean the recent surge in the wholesale price of gasoline _ which rose to about $4.85 a gallon in the Gulf Coast market Friday _ might not be passed along to consumers unless Ike's impact is severe and long-lasting.

etc.
Henry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps...i actually might not know what i'm talking about
so please disregard this.

greed.
greed at work.

and if you think about it...
there's more than one way to destroy a country besides beating the crap outta it. For instance, if, let's say, if I lived in country "Ru" and I owned 2 bmw's, oil wells, stocks, bonds, dry cleaners, designer jean factory, condos, swiming pools...all the luxuries no one had 20+ years ago

AND

along came an economic what you macall it...Suddenly, and possibly with the speed of an incoming what you macall it my life style comes to a slow or a screeching halt. Well, that will do the job just as efficiently as would
let's say a 2008 version of Slim Pickens riding the big one down at the conclusion of "Dr. Strangelove" back in 1962 or so.

Of course, back then all a citizen of the mythic state of "Ru" had to lose was his dinner of raw...uncooked potato, vodka and an occasional moose
nut for protein.

Different world we're in. No one wants to drive a Yugo when they're used to a bmw.

however, when the cost of a gallon of gas is over FOUR dollars in Iowa then believe you me someone in Ru or England or China (yes, China...do your homework and read about it) Will catch a cold.

Almost no one benefits from greed. Except...well you take a guess.

hurricanes, snowflakes babies, creationism, china, india, more hurricanes

well, surely to some extent this will make a gallon go up.

but how abOUT good old fashiONED G-R-EE-D. greed that' s camouflaged
as snowflakes.

Anyway, the price should be coming down, the refineries shuttered by storm, the production limited by quota, the distribution affected by sex scandal and the price should be coming down. After all, it's election day.
after which i suggest you buttun up your overcote. brrrrrrrr.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/12/AR2008091203631.html?hpid=moreheadlines

Downturn Starts to Hit Emerging Economies

By Anthony Faiola
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, September 13, 2008; Page A01
Developing countries including China and India, where red-hot growth has lifted hundreds of millions of people out of poverty in recent years, are showing signs of economic cooling as the effects of the downturn that started in the United States continue to spread around the globe.

Fears that booming emerging markets are becoming caught up in a global slowdown helped send the dollar soaring this week. Investors continue to flee juggernauts such as Russia into safer dollar-denominated investments. The shift comes as the prices for commodities from developing countries, particularly oil, drop precipitously.

etc.

Last edited by Henry on Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Henry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"just the facts, mamm".*

*attributed to Sgt. Friday

From the article:

"U.S. Oil, Gas Supplies Disrupted by Hurricane Ike
Preliminary Estimates Show Limited Impact; Bush Warns Against Price Gouging"

you've gotta be joking...this never, ever happened before...
(remember July? remember June?)

Ike Hits Texas

By Steven Mufson and Spencer s. Hsu
Saturday, September 13, 2008; 2:32 PM

The arrival of Hurricane Ike in southern Texas shut down the heart of the nation's oil and gas industry, as companies evacuated production platforms and closed down refineries along the Gulf Coast, but President Bush today vowed to help keep supplies moving.

In brief comments at the White House this morning, Bush said he was concerned about the gasoline availability and prices. He said that the Environmental Protection Agency has temporarily waived some provisions in 12 states around the region so that they can import gasoline from abroad that normally would not meet some U.S. requirements.

etc.
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jest my opinion

To all of those who never gave a single thought to what was happening around them and cared about the snowflakes, the 7000 year old planet and creationism...all while their pockets were systematically being emptied right in front of their very unseeing eyes.

Or while we were being held up by our ankles while all the loose change was shaken from our pockets. As we were fixated upon Chinese oil consumption, Indian oil consumption, hurricanes, refineries and drill, drill, drill, baby drill. To you I give today. And a many hundred tomorrows.

As Stanley Kubrick wrote ..."EYES WIDE SHUT."
He musta known something back in 1999.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/15/AR2008091500637.html?hpid=topnews

"Government Struggles to Contain Crisis

Nation's Largest Insurance Co. Threatened; Stocks Plunge
Federal Reserve, Treasury try to engineer private rescue of AIG, which has credit downgraded. Dow suffers biggest point loss since Sept. 11 attacks.

"...Wall Street's biggest shakeout since the Great Depression stems...etc."
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to refresh your memories:

"drill, drill, drill, drill.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/16/AR2008091600247.html?hpid=topnews

Oil Drops Below $91 a Barrel

The Chevron oil refinery is shown in Richmond, Calif., Monday, Sept. 15, 2008. Oil prices plunged to a seven-month low Monday as the Gulf Coast energy infrastructure appeared relatively unharmed after Hurricane Ike and traders bet that Lehman Brothers' bankruptcy could ignite a massive liquidation of commodities. (AP Photo/Jeff Chiu) (Jeff Chiu - AP)

By Steven Mufson
Tuesday, September 16, 2008; 9:42 AM
Crude oil prices plunged again today, falling below $91 a barrel at one point this morning as traders and investors worried about lower oil demand from a weakened economy and the prospect that troubled financial firms would curtail oil trading or liquidate positions. The dip in prices follows a 5.4 percent drop yesterday that brought the cost of oil below $100 a barrel for first time since Feb. 15.

etc.
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You go figure this out for yourselves.

However, while you're at it try to remember the reasons you gave for the huge increases. Such as the biggie, China, India, Storms, insufficient refinery capacity, drill more, the "free market."

Then think of just where this pumped from the ground price might "settle."
And how much higher that is from just a few short years ago. And how comfortable you are paying $3.++ per gallon. That's a relief. Uh huh.

Then think of a cold winter.
And I choose not to mention Election Day.

You go figure all this out for yourselves and then reflect upon the stuff you said and the "trust" you had to have to say it.

And I'm just repeating the stuff you said right here a while back.

Now look at things.

But just remember that China and India are still eating it all up. So go ahead, bearing that in mind, and figure this out for yourselves.

It's all in plain English. And black and white type.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/17/AR2008091701185.html?hpid=topnews

THE GLOBAL ECONOMY
Oil's Dramatic Price Retreat Ripples Around the World

By Steven Mufson
Wednesday, September 17, 2008; 10:48 AM

Just two months ago, spiking petroleum prices were emboldening confrontational oil exporters such as Venezuela, Russia and Iran, fueling inflation anxiety at the Federal Reserve, raising expectations at American biofuel producers, and crimping the budgets of airlines and ordinary households alike.

Suddenly, the oil market's dynamic has changed. Prices have beaten a two-month retreat, confounding forecasts that many experts had just revised upward, fanning tensions within OPEC, dimming the financing prospects for alternative-fuel firms, and erasing tens of billions of dollars of value of energy stocks and oil and gas investments.

etc.
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tissues are available in the lobby.

Because you are laughing so much.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/18/AR2008091800477.html?hpid=topnews

Oil Falls on Concerns Over Weak Global Demand

A pump jack is seen surrounded by flood waters left behind by Hurricane Ike on the High Island Oil Field while the Texas General Land Office, Oil Spill Division was conducting and investigating a reported oil slick, Wednesday, Sept. 17, 2008, in High Island, Texas. Several pump jacks were damaged or destroyed and left partially submerged in what is normally dry ground along the Gulf Coast. Some reports of oil slicks have been reported to the state agency but no major spills have been discovered. (Tony Gutierrez - AP)

By J.W. ELPHINSTONE
The Associated Press
Thursday, September 18, 2008; 1:44 PM

NEW YORK -- Oil prices broke back above $100 a barrel as investors sought a haven from the financial sector's turmoil, but crude later gave back its gains as the tenuous state of the global economy raised concerns about future demand.

etc.
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enjoy.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12400801/

Oil spikes $25 amid anxiety over bailout
Trading suspended as crude prices soar to biggest one-day increase ever

Oil climbs sharply higher

Sept. 22: Crude oil jumps more than $20 dollars a barrel on fears of cheap money from the Fed. Stephen Schork discusses the reasons behind the move with CNBC's Erin Burnett.

Gas prices across the United States
The U.S. average price of regular has jumped 93 cents from last year to $3.739 per gallon on Monday, according to AAA.

updated 6 minutes ago
NEW YORK - Oil prices spiked more than $25 a barrel Monday — the biggest one-day price jump ever — as anxiety over the government’s $700 billion bailout plan, a weak dollar and an expiring crude contract ignited a dramatic rally.

etc.
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you snowflakes are enjoying your great adventure. Because, with all due respect you were suckered into what's probably the most significant bank robbery of our lifetime. And if you're just beginning to scratch your head to figure this out I might suggest turning off the boob box and begin to read and think for yourselves.

Or enjoy your first, what was it $300- tax rebate and that second, what was it $600-gift. And while your were applauding what amounted to 80 or so boxes of Cheerios or a new mufflers worth of cash thems that forked over the pocket change were helping themselves to their US Treasury.
Cause it certainly ain't your US Treasury.

Do yourselves a favor and begin to think for yourselves.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/22/AR2008092201106.html?hpid=topnews

Currency's Dive Points to Further Pain

Stocks fell sharply as uncertainty surrounded the U.S. financial bailout. (By Jin Lee -- Bloomberg News)

By Anthony Faiola, Peter Whoriskey and Renae Merle
Tuesday, September 23, 2008; Page A01
The dollar took its steepest one-day drop in years as the financial crisis eroded the nation's basic measure of value, helping to drive U.S. stocks sharply lower and the dollar-based prices of oil and gold sharply higher.

THIS STORY
CHAIN REACTION: Currency's Dive Points to Further Pain
Wall St. Points to Disclosure As Issue
Hedge Funds Also Caught in Tempest

The convergence of negative sentiment came as investors focused on the uncertainties in the Bush administration's emergency plan for a massive bailout of the financial system, outlined this weekend. Indications yesterday that the administration would need more time to iron out a compromise with Congress raised questions about what the plan will ultimately look like, even as investors tried to assess how and whether it would work.

New concerns also emerged over the toll the crisis will take on the U.S. economy, with many analysts saying the slowdown could worsen, perhaps costing more jobs and hurting consumers.

etc.
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dag burn it shucks....and did you believe me when I said 1973?

and by the way, rent the dvd of "The Formula."

One good thing is my bmw has a 17.2 gas tank and 30+++++mpg's.

and if it had wings i'd fit it out with tip tanks...

gosh darn it and i was seriously intending to drive from the southwest back to nyc in 2 weeks

why i was looking forward to my fave Waffle Houses along the way
yeah, i actually enjoy Waffle House

well, looks liken it's the more northern route

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/25/AR2008092504159.html

Gas Shortage In the South Creates Panic, Long Lines
If Drivers Can Fill Up, They Get Sticker Shock

People wait to fill their tanks at a Citgo station in Charlotte, where drivers have reported gas lines 60 cars long after 11 p.m. (By Davie Hinshaw -- The Charlotte Observer)

By Steven Mufson

Friday, September 26, 2008; Page D01

Gasoline shortages hit towns across the southeastern United States this week, sparking panic buying, long lines and high prices at stations from the small towns of northeast Alabama to Charlotte in the wake of Hurricanes Gustav and Ike.

In Atlanta, half of the gasoline stations were closed, according to AAA...

etc.

However, aren't we, as a nation, driving less these days???
And wasn't it reported the storms didn't do much damage to oil industry??

This would, however, allow me a thorough tour of Vicksburg or Shilo battlefields. And a revisit to the Museum of the Gray and Blue in Vicksburg...Perhaps I can disguise my New York plates as something less
prominent...New Jersey??? You guys down there like New Jersey?

first time i ate "fried pie" was in Arkansas. I mostly looked at it though.
please spare me...i'll pay six bucks a gallon...
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Movie Recommendations:

1. Lawrence of Arabia (seriously...and the unspoken subtext is oil amongst the other unspoken subtext of Iraq)

2. Topaz...by Hitchcock

3. Blazing Saddles

4. The Battle of Algiers (a old recommendation...I saw it back in '67 or '6Cool

5. The Formula

6. Do YOU have any movie suggestions???
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, am i surprised.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/29/AR2008092900623.html?hpid=topnews

"The fundamentals are sound"

"I don't know anything about economics"

"I can see Russia from my front porch"

"Freedom ain't free"

"It just happens to cost Two and a half unaccounted Billion a week."

I just hope that bmw continues to sell as many of our favorite vehicles as they can manufacture. And, perhaps, make one without too many googaggles and taddywinkles. A 'driver's' car...that actually has a dipstick.
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you grateful that we're not paying over $4- a gallon yet still considerably over $3-?

Election

Cold Winter

Hurricanes

Refinaries

Hedge Funds

Use less of the stuff

enough foolishness 4 now

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/17/business/worldbusiness/17oil.html?_r=1&th&emc=th&oref=slogin

Oil Prices Slip Below $70 a Barrel

By JAD MOUAWAD
Published: October 16, 2008
Oil prices dropped below $70 a barrel for the first time in 14 months Thursday, prompting the OPEC cartel to call for an emergency meeting next week to establish some stability in prices that have plummeted recently after rising for months.

etc.
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bled that one dry. Maxed too many credit (we do use 25% of the stuff) cards with almost $100 fill ups. There was or is a tipping point here.

snowflake babies, hurricanes, refineries, winter, summer, or the never mentioned greed...and cartels...

Don't you worry one bit...we can always sell them food (at least until they irrigate the desert). One unlubricated, and wormy husk of corn for $20.00.

Anyway...it really is more complicated that that.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/22/business/worldbusiness/22opec.html?ref=business

OPEC Ponders Choices as Oil Prices Plummet

By JAD MOUAWAD
Published: October 21, 2008
At the beginning of the year, OPEC producers felt confident that strong economic growth and tight supplies would keep oil prices high. When oil crossed the $100-a-barrel threshold in February, the cartel’s president blamed speculators and said there was not much OPEC could do.

(oh? have you seen photos of those cities being built outta the sand?
"nothing we could do")

Anyway, it really is our fault by encouraging ourselves to unnecessarily and solely drive huge vehicles, drive too much, and losing a generation of research development. Remember 1973... We've had time. There are moments when on must shoulder the blame and not pass it on.

So one can, in fact, enable, nurture cartels and encourage greed.

Besides, this price dip might and probably is only be temporary.

etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: