Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying used X5?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> X Cars Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RaySay

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Buying used X5? Reply with quote

2002 X5, 3.0 with 40K miles. I have 2 concerns that I'm hoping the X5 board gurus can help me with. The first has to do with what I understand is a engine "sludge" issue when oil is changed every 15K, and most of the driving is in urban traffic. My son-in-law is a Lexus tech and he advises this is a problem with certain Lexus models, and is a likely downstream issue with this '02 X5. The second is the brakes and rotors were done 7K ago, but under high speed braking I get a shimmy that feels like a warped rotor. The linings appear new, so maybe its just a bad rotor. Any known rotor issues on this model X5. I'm assuming they replace rotors as opposed to resurfacing them, and I assume there is no warranty associated with new rotors. This is a CPO car until 3/'08, so I'm wondering if there is an engine sludge issue would it be covered? Any and all feedback is very much appreciated. I need to decide whether or not to do this deal by tomorrow, Monday. Cheers!
donaldan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMW engines are not known to be bothered by sludge problem as much as some Toyota engines, especially their V6 models. You can do a google search to find out more.

For one thing, most BMW cars now carry free oil change for the first 30k to 50k miles. The instrument panel oil change/maintenance light comes on when it is due. Oil change alert typically comes on at 10k or less. Many owners change the oil at much lower intervals.

Check for maintenance record for oil change, if available. When the car is serviced at a BMW dealership, the service department keeps a record on their computer and you can asked for it. I bought my 1997 528i as a CPO car and full set of maintenace record of that car was on the dealer's computer.
RaySay

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Don
uberpanzer44

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Brake rotors---several replaced due to warping Reply with quote

My 2004 X5 has gone through three sets of front and two sets of rear rotors since new. BMW 1-800 help folks had to get involved for second front set replacement, which occurred with less than 4000 miles on them. Problem is soft metal compound used...highly prone to warping, especially here in Florida. Hot brakes going splash splash thru free standing puddles = rapid cooling and...warping.

Recommend you learn to do yourself and order rotors, pads, etc from bavauto or other seller.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> X Cars Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: