Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

P1423 Code - Carbon Build Up?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulcalif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: P1423 Code - Carbon Build Up? Reply with quote

I recently bought a 2000 740iL (at auction). I'm getting the P1423 code. I checked the Secondary Air System and it all seems fine. I decided to see if I could track down the dealer where this car had been maintained. Sure enough, Palm Springs BMW. I asked if they could pull the service reconds, bingo, back in October, they spent 3 hours diagnosing this problem. They claim the problem is due to carbon build up in the cylinder heads, and wanted to charge the customer $5000 to repair it.

Anyone ever experience anything like that? Any suggestions before I put this car back on the auction block.

It's a real shame, the car is spotless, obviously very well taken care of. Oh, I had also tracked down the previous owner, 78 year old woman, owned it since it was new. I really hate to sell it, but there is no way I'm going to spend $5000 to have the heads cleaned.

How big a job is it to pull the heads? I've done a lot of work on cars over the years, but I haven't pulled the heads on a V8 since I was a kid.

I called the local dealer and they said it was a 8~9 hour job.

Anybody? Thanks

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
dale

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of things you can try, one is to run Techron extra strength for several tanks of gas.

A second thing to try is called the 'hot soak', basically you feed Techron or other FI cleaner full strength into the engine, then kill the motor so it's covering the entire intake track, let it soak for an hour, then go drive it hard.
Lots of smoke.
Change the oil when done.
Search on 'hot soak' for more details.

Dale
sold in 2016
87 325 5spd eta
edjack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently read about water injection in a syndicated auto repair column.

Feed a drinking glass full of water very slowly into the engine, running at a fast idle, via a small vacuum hose. It claims to clean the carbon deposits out.

The previous owner probably never exceeded 2500 RPM, and then, that was on the trip to church down the block, or to the liquor store.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
paulcalif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: That could be... But in the mean time. Reply with quote

Not that I doubt the dealer, but before I go after carbon deposits, I swapped the O2 sensors. If the error now changes to the other side, bingo, I have a bad 02 sensor. If not, then continue with carbon chasing.

I talked to a buddy on mine who manages a big used car lot. His mechanic said the same thing as you, water in a vacuum hose. He also said he had a car once years ago, where it was running really rough. The mechanic poured a little water down the throttle body and he head a big pop, rattle rattle, carbon in the cylinder. Then it started running great.

I am a little leary about doing that, but I may if the O2 swap doesn't help.
bimmerjo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after you do this you will need to buy new o2 sensors because the carbon coming out of the exhaust will foul them out, really quick

1988 BMW 635CSi - Black
1988 BMW 325iX - Grey - Soon will be black
1986 BMW 325ES - Black
2008 Kawi ZZR600 - Black
1977 Custom Deluxe - Red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: