Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The E90 Diesel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
donaldan

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: The E90 Diesel Reply with quote

Every year, I spent a few days driving in Germany and the Benelux countries. Typically, I would rent a BMW from Sixt car rental. Last year, I reported on a 320d model (E90 – 2 liter 4 cylinder turbo diesel). My rental this year was a 325d. Short of a board for the E90 (5th generation 3 series), I am posting my experience in this E46 section.

Three weeks ago, my German friend and I lucked into a 4-dr. 325d (6 cylinder 2.5 liter turbo diesel) with 6 speed manual transmission. The car had only 8,000 kms (=5k miles) on it and fully equipped – leather, sports package with 17 inch wheels, I-Drive/Navigation, front and back proximity detector and Comfort Access, etc. The four day rental including 3 days weekend came to US$227.57.

This was the first time I had experienced the use of BMW’s Comfort Access. Here, the remote door key acted as transponder. As I approached the car with the key in my pocket, the car automatically unlocked the doors/trunk without me having to push any button.

Overall, it was the best car I have ever driven, very sporty on twisty streets and yet very comfortable and quiet on long highway cruises. It was noticeably more powerful than the already adequate 320d I used last year. The short throw gearbox was perfect. The run-flat tires performed wonderfully. We regularly cruised at 200 kph (125mph) on the German Autobahn and hit 230 kph (144mph) on several stretches. It is truly amazing how stable the car was at such high speed.

In spite of our extremely aggressive driving, we averaged 34.02 miles per gallon (= 6.96 liters per 100 km) on our 746 miles trip. We used a total of only 21.9 gallons (=83 liters) of diesel fuel and paid US $122.74 (=€90.25) at an average price of $5.60 per gallon.

There is no question that BMW builds some of the finest diesel cars in the world. I only wish they would send some over here. Already, a majority of their European sales is diesel. My understanding is their diesel production capacity is quite limited and they are not ready to take the risk of changing their model mix for the American market, at least not right now.

By the way, about those 1 series cars, I am not at all impressed. It is not particularly stylish. For those who want a smaller BMW, the Mini seems to be a better answer.
alanfp

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you enjoyed your drive. Smile

Regarding your comment on the 1 series, I think it looks good ("beauty is in the eye of the beholder"). I think the mini looks good as well, but they only have 2 doors, and a VERY small boot (trunk to you!). The 1 series is really an estate car (station wagon) and for a lot of people a much more practical proposition.
donaldan

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" The 1 series is really an estate car (station wagon) and for a lot of people a much more practical proposition."

You are right on the point, it is a small practical station wagon. Unfortuantely, the market for a small luxury station wagon is not yet accepted here in America. Audi is still trying its darnest on its A3 but got very poor sales in the US. It is so far the lone wolf and struggling. Seeing Audi's failure, I don't think BMW will follow the same path. Mercedes Benz too, has not brought their A and B classes hatchbacks to the States.

There are however many small low priced station wagons/hatchbacks selling at about half price of an Audi or Mercedes, mostly Japanese branded, and well accepted here in the States.
jon

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

question. Do you know whether this 325d is the model with the 2 liter 200+ hp engine? I read about the engine in a BMW magazine and my mouth started watering. I think it said BMW will designate the engine for the 325d, though it didn't say which year.
donaldan

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I made one mistake. The 325d I rented has a 3 liter engine, not a 2.5 liter engine as I indicated. Here is the lineup of the 3 series diesels sold in Germany.

318d - 2 liter, 4 cylinder - 122PS
320d - 2 liter, 4 cylinder with turbo - 163PS
325d - 3 liter, 6 cylinder with turbo - 197PS
330d - 3 liter, 6 cylinder with turbo - 231PS
335d - 3 liter, 6 cylinder with twin turbo - 306PS

I believe PS measurement is closely equivalent to HP, and that is what is used in Europe (besides KW) to indicate power. That 335d is indeed a jaw dropper producing over 300 HP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: