Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Start up problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> M Cars Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franco Filice

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Start up problems Reply with quote

I have a 2002 M3 . I just noticed that when the cars been sitting for a few hours, it doesn't fire up. It sounds like it wants to start but it can't. Once the car is started on the second try, its fine. After that starting the car is fine, it just gives me a hard time if its been sitting for hours at a time. I checked the battery and it seems fine, the green indicator is on.
Question: Can it be a starter problem or the battery itself?
edjack

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean that the starter will not turn the engine over, or does it spin for some time before it starts?

What do you mean when you say, "Once the car is started on the second try, its fine."

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
Franco Filice

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: start up problem Reply with quote

The engine does not turn over, but sometimes it will if i keep the key turned for long enough.

If it doesn't fire up, i'll stop and take the key out. Then i'll try it again and it will start like it should. Basically, if i'm driving the car regularly in the day it will start up fine. When I go to start it the next day it will have the problem again. Can the starter not be turning it over? or can it be something else.
edjack

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suspect a worn out ignition switch, OR, a bad starter solenoid.

Are you having any apparently unrelated electrical anomolies? Can you induce one or more by pulling down the right side visor, and turning on the vanity light?

If so, this test points to the ignition switch. Easy to change.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> M Cars Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: