Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to the E36 and have some Sunroof issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigcollins25

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: New to the E36 and have some Sunroof issues Reply with quote

Hey guys first off I am already a proud owner of one 1991 318i. But a few days ago I saw a deal I could not miss. Anyways $1800 later I was the proud owner of a great condition 1992 318i. Only problem: sunroof will not open correctly.
Here is the deal:
When I crank it it goes a little bit sideways and it does not move, even when I try to crank the other way to "Pop' it up, it only goes up a little.
I took it to the Auto Skill shop on Base, and the BMW expert said it was not in the gear box, and it was probably in the track wire. He recommended I take it to a BMW Dealer. But I really don't feel safe taking it someplace I know might run me in the hundreds of Euros.
You guys think it would be easy to pull of the sunroof and diagnose the problem from a Non-expert point of view?
Or should I suck it up and head to the BMW dealer?
By the way I am based in Germany, so the car is German specification. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
omp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it moves back just a little, when retracting it you can probably slide the innner liner back and do some trouble shooting.

First I would make sure the roof is fully closed, drop the service panel where the motor sits and drop the motor, check the worm gear for debris. This will tell you how much of it is damaged. Buying a new cable isn't worth it, but picking up a used sunroof cassette complete with motor and everything would be cheaper from a wreckign yard.

Retract the sunroof, but only to where it drops about 5-10mm, then you can slide the inner tray back with your hands, will take some pressure but thats how its described in the TIS. This exposes the linkages on the sides, to see if anything is broken.
she's gone
00 E46 328ic
she's gone
02 E39 525i
She's alive
Henry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do go to a dealer...ask for a reasonably accurate cost estimate. They usually have seen problems before and are familiar with them. Try to get more then one estimate...then do the work. If business is slow letting a shop know you are going for a fair price sometimes works in your favor.

Don't seem to anxious to repair the roof. They smell $ the way a shark smell blood. Hold back before committing.

A different approach would be to take the vehicle to a "body shop." A private business that repairs cars after accidents. They also have experience with putting cars back together after they've been taiken apart and are familiar with the problems of the cars.

Make that a shop which specializes in bmw's. That helps...
bigcollins25

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be interesting because I live in Wiesbaden, Germany. but anyways......From what I have been told the dealers in Germany are a lot different then they are in the US. I was told that they are usually cheaper and they only do the job you ask them to do because they are not hurting for money like the non-dealer workshops. but I will let everyone know how it goes when I go to one, but I just have to wait for my next day off Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: