Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need exhaust help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
walshja

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: need exhaust help Reply with quote

my wifes 1999 528iT, the exhaust system broke.

I guess there are 3 mufflers on the car? well the pipe going from the 1st muffler into the second muffler (which is underneat the car) has rotted an broken free from the second muffler.

My wife took the car to a local garage thinking (hoping) it would be a quick, cheap fix.

she received a quote of $1400 to fix the problem.

the garage is claiming the entire exhaust must be replaced, that BMW only sells or recommends replacing everything.

does this sound right? is the exhaust on these cars really setup that way? requiring all parts be replaced in a situation like this?

she is off to our normal mechanic now.

1994 325iC, 195k miles
http://home.comcast.net/~walshja/index.html <--- check it out

alanfp

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No ... doesn't sound right.

Maybe YOU ought to take it next time and see what they say!!!!!!
walshja

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I am, just gotta find time !!!

are you familiar with the exhaust setup on a 1999 528iT ?

is there in fact 3 mufflers?

1994 325iC, 195k miles

jlevie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exhaust system has catalytic converters, a front and middle resonator, and a muffler. in that order front to back. It isn't clear to me which part you are referring to.
Spec E30 #96 (NASA-SE)
1divinehammer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

unfortunately when it comes to emissions they are gonna get you. It probably has two catalytic converters or resonator and one muffler. Catalytic converters from a dealership can be between 300-900 dollars depending on the application. it is very common to replace the majority of the exhaust system all at once. if the intermediate pipe is rotted out the rest of the system is probably on the verge of failure. The reason why they estimated it at 1400 dollars is because the shop is buying the parts from the dealership and dealerships are expensive
walshja

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after getting pictures of an E39 exhaust system, I got under the car and saw that the pipe going from the front muffler to the center silencer was disconnected. I want to say disconnected because I really didn't see any corrosion, but it was simply disconnected at a weld location.

So, knowing exactly what was wrong I went to my normal mechanic, told them what was wrong and had the 2 pipes welded together. They did the weld, checked for leakes, and 2 hours later I was out the door for $150 !!

They had to lower the entire exhaust from the car, I guess it's bolted to the transmission and engine, then hung from the body of the car with hangers. For them to weld on top of the pipe, the entire exhaust system had to be lowered.

and the shop did confirm that the entire exhaust is sold in 1 piece, not looking forward to that day !!

1994 325iC, 195k miles

alanfp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds better Smile

I'm still not convinced , when that day comes, that you'll have to buy the whole thing. If that was the case, surely the info you have got hold of (which looks very official) would show ONE part number, and not 28. Confused
walshja

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan, i would normally agree with what you are saying, but I have now had 2 mechanics tell me it is sold in 1 piece, and my buddy who has an e34 was told the same thing regarding his exhaust system as well. but I guess your right, how can that possibly be, how the heck would they even ship a complete 1 piece exhaust system ? ??

I can't believe nobody on this forum has done any exhaust work, to shed some light on this topic !!!

1994 325iC, 195k miles

Ed Prasad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had only the Catalytic converter replaced. my muffler friend, cut out the old one and installed another. cost me $225 Cdn. I even passed the required Canadian Emmissions test.
1990 525i
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: