Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So what exactly is the 1 series?

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jscotty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: So what exactly is the 1 series? Reply with quote

I read the press release and I saw the pictures but I do not understand what this is supposed to be. Is the 1 series supposed to replace the M or the Z series? Is it supposed to be their new flagship car that overshadows the 760? Or is this supposed to be a fuel efficient sub-compact to compete against the japanese? What kind of customer is BMW targeting with this vehicle?

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
donaldan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1 series BMW cars are primarily aimed at the entry level European market. The size is small. It started out with a 4 door sedan followed currently by a 2 door version, both are so called utilitarian hatchbacks, not a popular design for the the American market. In Germany, it is the entry level BMW equipped with 1.6, 1.8, 2.0 liter four bangers or a 3 liter sixer plus 2 versions of diesels. I guess further international distribution of this car would depend on how successful the Germans take to it because the primary test market is Germany. Unless it becomes well accepted in the home market, it could be suicidal for BMW to expand its sales internationally.

For the American market, BMW spent millions to promote its luxury branding image. An entry level utilitarian car just doesn't fit that image.
Jscotty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its interesting how we as Americans regard European cars as something extroadinary when its simply business as usual for the manufacturers.

donaldan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all European cars in America are being viewed in the luxury category. VW is a good example. BMW and Mercedes Benz purposefully market only the upscale versions of their cars in America and spent enormous amount of money to enhance their image in that direction. It is like GM selling only Cadillacs and keeping Chevrolets away.

BMW only offer 6 cylinder engines in the 3 series here in America, equipped with leather seating, sunroof and high end audios. In Germany, the buyer can choose from 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 liter 4-bangers plus 2 versions of diesels. Cloth seats and manual seats are very common. Such cars are sold in the price range of Hondas and Toyotas.
Jscotty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.. you are right.. if the only thing that we exported was Lincolns, Caddys and Vettes overseas it would be the same thing- BUT even the VW's carry a certain degree of excellence amongst the other vehicles in its class.

John Q Public

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: I want one... Reply with quote

honestly...I'd like to have one...a commuter car made for REAL HUMANS...not those little Japanese S*** boxen made for people under 5'8"...or American made econo-trash designed to fall apart a week after the warranty expires...

I'm not really a VW fan (a little too cutesy and common...and did I mention underpowered)...the last Audi I liked was the GT Quatro (and even its build quality and reliability left something to be desired)...and Mercedes dropped the C230K and C320C...so that leaves BMW as the marque with an attractive commuter...and if it's half as good as the Bimmers we drive every day...I REALLY want one Smile
killerbeem

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw one here in OKC, and let me tell you what, they are NICE looking!!!
I wish I could afford one...
MK
1984 325e - Rachel (Sold)
BMWCCA Member
Find me on Twitter: @mkilpatric
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 1 Series All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: