Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

85-E, No start when warm...was FPR, again??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tncean

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: 85-E, No start when warm...was FPR, again?? Reply with quote

Not my car, friend with 85-E, 250k miles, says cranks fine when cold, but often won't crank when at normal temp.
Says there's no fuel to FPR when it won't crank.??

Tips from you e folks appreciated.

Says it runs fine, otherwise.

Thanks.....tncean

Last edited by tncean on Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:54 am; edited 2 times in total
panzerkeil302

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, this just started happening to me...when it's cold it'll start right up, but if I run it for, say 30minutes, then shut it off, it has to crank for a minute.
tncean

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm double curios.

tncean
DickCheney

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having same problem. Culprit is:
(1) injector leaking,
(2) FPR leaking, or
(3) fuel pump choke valve failure.

I think my injector is leaking.
kknguyen1168

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: 1985 325e NO START Reply with quote

Hi all

I had same problem over 2 years, can not find the problem, I have change everything your name it!!!, it start fine for few day and next day the car crank but NO START!!!, wait for couple hour then the car start fine!! only thing I can note it is " when the car park in the sun for awhile then would not start" something short when it hot or the sun beat on the car , I hope to find the problem someday:))))

V/r

Khoi nguyen
Pirate323i

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
when the car park in the sun for awhile then would not start" something short when it hot or the sun beat on the car

Mine has a similar problem, not now that its winter though, I believe it to be the solenoid on the starter motor... I guess I will fix it next summer. Rolling Eyes

1989 318i M52B25 24v swap
1989 318i great little car
1983 323i same as picture only red! - Now gone...
1983 323i Written off by some fool running a red light... RIP.
m78

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had that problem 3 years ago.

Fuel pressure regulator was replaced and never had the problem again.

Top Speed 220 km/h

(OO=00=OO)
kknguyen1168

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: 1985 325e NO START Reply with quote

hi

If the solenoid then the engine will not crank!!!, and the FPR had been changed.

V/r
bearing01

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Make sure the fuel pump is getting power through the fuel pump relay. Maybe bad relay?

2. Run a residual fuel pressure check. Check the Bentley for allowable fuel pressure drop. From memory, I think it's 1Bar in 30 minutes ( I could be wrong).

3. If residual pressure is ok then it could be a bad fuel pump. You could have a bad comutator contact that is only really detectable by using a clamp on current probe and an oscilloscope. You could check the DC current draw of the pump, which may not detect one out of the 8 cumutator contacts being bad. One bad bar may be all it takes to cause a warm start problem. If the pump was to stop on that bad bar then the pump may intermittantly startup or have a no-start problem.

If pressure, delivery and residual pressure checks all look good ... replace the pump.
kknguyen1168

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: 1985 325e NO START Reply with quote

hi

Fuel pump relay had been replaced, also the fuel pump,!!!!! when the car won't start I have no SPARK!!!!!, all senor also had been replaced!!! ANY OTHER IDEA!!!!! ARE WELCOME.

V/r
bearing01

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could also be worn out or fouled spark plugs, Dizzy cap or rotor.
bearing01

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If no spark and you have a new crank sensor and wiring is all good, then make sure you get 12V on the green (circuit #15) wire going to the coil when the ignition key is on. If you don't then it could be a bad ignition switch or some starter disable (like alarm unit) inline between the ignition switch and the coil.

If you got 12V on that green wire but still no spark, disconnect the other Black wire from the coil. Use an LED with a 330 Ohm resistor (both connected inline with each other (in series)) and connect it between the coil's Black wire and green wire. When you turn the ignition key and crank the motor the LED should flash. IF it doesn't flash then turn around the LED+resistor and try it again. If it still doesn't flash then either your ECM is bad or the crankshaft sensor signal is not getting to the ECM. That, or the ECM relay is not supplying power to the ECM.
tncean

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I think the 85-e's culprit is as elusive as Mr. K's...., and, I understand fuel pump was changed out, also.

Bearing 01, the real puzzler is that the no start only occurs when engine is warmed, or at "normal" operating temp. If crank or other sensor, wouldn't no-start occur even when cold??

Panzer, I had a very experienced (20 yrs+) bmw wrench tell me it's not unusual to have to engage starter for 10-20 seconds on the E-30 when engine warm. I replaced MAIN relay on mine sometime back, it helped a lot.

Is it possible that fuel pressure regulator is involved? Is there a "check" valve in fuel pump? Is something "grounding out" or otherwise tellling ignition/fuel system to not function? Bad Karma??

Off to the fireworks show. Think I'll play "Liberty" on the fiddle.

Happy 4th!!

tncean
tncean

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestions, anyone?

tncean
kknguyen1168

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: 1985 325e NO START Reply with quote

Bearing01

All the thing you wrote that does it apply to 1985 325e??? I had changed Two(2) new sensors near the Transmission also Ignition switch, I had 3 spare ECU for my car, all of them act the same!!!!!, only thing you wrote that I am confuse is “ECM relay” where it located?? I might need to change that too.

V/r
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: