Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Long Drive East

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: The Long Drive East Reply with quote

Drive time again. Driving from Santa Fe to NYC ... and leaving in a few hours. Vehicle needs a NYS inspection in order to continue NYS registration.
Soon.

All of which leads me to ...

This very well cared for 1992 E-36 318is has gotta be the best vehicle I've ever owned. I took a good look at it a few minutes ago and with the rear seats folded, my things in a duffel bag and large plastic boxes for stuff I take back to NYC, a sattelite radio, cell phone, the roof rack for the bike and 31-35 mpg I must say that BMW has their driving priorities right. I know that I'll be alert, comfortable and efficient because of a forward thinking 15 year old design. Am looking forward to the drive.

2 do loo 4 now
donaldan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a safe and pleasant eastward track. Will be waiting to hear all the details. How many miles have you got on the car?
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice drive. Had perfect weather. Absolutely Perfect Weather. Some details for us Bimmer Heads.

Distance: 2100+ miles.

Route: US 285 South from I-25 to I-40, I-40 through New Mexico, the Panhandle of Texas, the entire width of Oklahoma (where I was welcomed with chocolates and ball point pens), the entire width of Arkansas and Tennessee. At Bristol Tennessee I take left turn (easy for me to do) and begin driving north on I-81. I drive the entire length of Virginia into West Virginia and a touch of I believe Maryland (by this time you might wish to excuse my memory) and finally drive I-81 into Pennsylvania. Around Harrisburg Pennsylvania I connect with I-78. Drive I-78 into Jersey City, meet my darling girlfriend who hops into a completely filled BMW and joins me through the Holland Tunnel into Manhattan. We make a few turns and voilia! are in Greenwich Village...West 12th Street at 4:00am. My dearest helps me to unload the E-36 and off to sleep at 5:00am.

Awaken at 8:00am...drive the vehicle to a garage for the NYS Inspection. It passes. Park the car. Take the subway to NYS Motor Vehicle to renew registration. Walk home. Take pictures. Check e-mail and prepare to snooze the snooze of the tired.

Time on Road: Left Santa Fe Tuesday morning at 10:30 (Mtn. time, All times are in Mtn. Time)...arrived at Lake Eufola Oklahoma Tuesday night at
I'd say 10:30 Mtn. Time (even though Ok. is in the Central Zone). Began driving Wednesday morning at 7:00am from Lake Eufola. Ended the driving day at a Comfort Inn just East of Knoxville Tennessee (tried for the over 60 discount...had to settle for the Triple A discount) at around 12:30am (remember...Mtn. Time).

Awakened Thursday morning and got onto the road at around 9:30am. Took my time. Ate breakfast at the Waffle House. Ate dinner at the Waffl House. On Tuesday and Wednesday I had my own food. Arrived in Jersey City at 1:00am Friday ...today... (real time of arrival was 3:00am East Coast time).

Oil Consumption: -0-

Fuel Consumption: notes are in car...will report tomorrow. Average appx. 30mpg...with a bike rack on roof.

Speed: I did not speed. Really no place to go above the speed limit by more then 5mph. ... and that was rare. Many highway patrolmen around in all states. I really didn't want to spoil the trip with a speeding ticket.

Bullshi* Consumption: Alot. Was on Cell Phone quite a bit.

The vehicle now had 178,000 miles on odometer. Kinda new Michelen Tires, Just completed (by me with my own wrench...about time...oil change).

All I know is that the vehicle works as advertised. It is maintained well. Sensibly driven. I'm the original owner.

Sure parts were replaced...However, they were replaced with care, consideration and if you ask my girlfriend...replaced with love.

this is getting sick. it's an inanimate object. a car. this is nuts.

However, I prefer (at certain times) to drive across the USA rather then fly across it. Like I said...this is nuts. But it is Our kind of nuts.
scrat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow this is some good reading. be carefull out there henry.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report, Henry. I was out of town for the weekend. Glad to read it when I got home.
tncean

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry,

As the old song goes, "there's no place like home". Sounds like you and the car got there all safe and sound.
I've many times traveled I-81 from Knoxville to Johnson City. Is that some pretty driving or what? There are, indeed, some beautiful, yet challenging, roads here in East Tenn., and I don't mean only the interstate system. Along the Tn/Nc state lines are some incredible roads, with lots of elevation changes and curves of all kinds. The bimmer is a lot more fun to drive on them than my 2 door Explorer.

I wonder if those Germans have been putting phernomes in the BMW's to get us addicted?

Peace.....tncean
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: