Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another victim of PayPal

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TnSlim

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Another victim of PayPal Reply with quote

Let’s say PayPal has about $500 of your dead presidents. And let’s say when you try to log in to transfer those funds to a bank account, a new second login page insists you give them the bank account number that your account is linked to before you’ll be allowed access.

Sounds like a phishing attempt, right? Well, let’s further stipulate that you investigate to confirm that this is part of a legitimate security audit and you enter your account number, but the number you enter is rejected. You log in to your bank’s web site and, to be absolutely sure, you cut and paste the account number into the PayPal login, but it’s still rejected. So you E-mail PayPay again, this time to complain that they’re making a mistake. They insist the mistake is yours.

You didn’t agree to this login procedure when they set up your account. And now Rumpelstiltskin won’t give you access to your money because you can’t answer his riddle.

What do you do next?
idanity

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like the email is also going phishing.

you should also keep all those emails like reciepts...maybe even printed?

im so leery about selling on ebay, *(craigslist is much better. b/c its always local and hand to hand) (and free)
beejay

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've have found that pay pal has always been quick, courteous on the phone. (at least they used to be before they were bought by ebay).
Try the old fashioned tele.
05 Tundra SR5 TRD
01 VFR800fi - 03 DR650S - 83 CB1100F - 82 CB900F - 69 CB750
TnSlim

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idanity wrote:

There was no E-mail. I was trying to log in because a friend had sent me some money, which I intended to transfer to a bank account.

beejay wrote:
I've have found that pay pal has always been quick, courteous on the phone. (at least they used to be before they were bought by ebay).

I would if I could but I live in Iraq. Seriously. It takes an act of congress to schedule a commercial telephone to the states.

I choose the Gordian knot solution. I gave up trying to convince PayPal that the error was theirs and contacted a friend who is a security guru. Since there were only ten possibilities for each numeral, the account number was light work for his brute force cracking app.

As soon as I got logged in I transferred the balance to my checking account and closed the PayPal account. Good riddance. I let them know they might have the ability to separate me from my money but that didn’t mean it was right. I made it clear I was closing my account because they had unilaterally tried to change our business agreement.
TnSlim

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idanity wrote:

There was no E-mail. I was trying to log in because a friend had sent me some money, which I intended to transfer to a bank account.

beejay wrote:

I would if I could but I live in Iraq. Seriously. It takes an act of congress to schedule a commercial telephone to the states.

I choose the Gordian knot solution. I gave up trying to convince PayPal that the error was theirs and contacted a friend who is a security guru. Since there were only ten possibilities for each numeral, the account number was light work for his brute force cracking app.

As soon as I got logged in I transferred the balance to my checking account and closed the PayPal account. Good riddance. I let them know they might have the ability to separate me from my money but that didn’t mean it was right. I made it clear I was closing my account because they had unilaterally tried to change our business agreement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: