Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

best short shifter for the money

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
elsmith

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: best short shifter for the money Reply with quote

What's the best short shifter for the e30?

metric mechanic?
z3/modified oem parts
uuc
b and m

opinions?
Quincy56

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only tried one, the Z3 1.9 (#25 11 1 434 148). Nothing else needs to be modified, except maybe a bend in the selector rod. Reduces throw about 25% and is inexpensive.

John

92 325ic - Isabelle
91 318i - Oscar - RIP
89 325i - Otis - RIP
e30_325es

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the factory upgrades. There is a picture going around that shows the difference so you can find the shift throw you want. $50 or $60 for one of these is waay better of a deal than spending $200+.

(I can say this because I do own a UUC Evo 2 short shifter, and if I had known about the factory upgrades, I would have gone with one of those first.)

86 325es The Super Eta.....
07 MCS The Daily
Gary Scheffe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - At the risk of being banned from this board, I'm going to be the first to "come out of the closet" and admit that I installed one of these on my 87 325...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-Short-shifter-e30-e36-e46-e34-e39-318-325-328_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33736QQitemZ8053287303QQrdZ1

I know, I know, it's kind of hokey, but I wanted to see what the short shift felt like, but I didn't want to spend a lot of money in case I decided that I like the orginal feel better. I've only had it installed for a few days, but so far I really like it. Seemed like a simple design concept and was easy to install - everything lined up, no bending required, and I didn't have to risk giving myself a black eye pulling off my shift knob Laughing . Hard to say how long it will hold up, but for now it's working great.

Is there anyone else out there with the courage to admit that they've installed one too?
85-325e

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'll admit that I've looked at those auctions frequently, and even sent him an email asking if that was "all there was!"

I'll have the courage to admit that I just bought the STOCK shifter as a replacement, cause after 21+ years of driving my car, I just liked the way it felt all along! But, two summers ago, I replaced ALL of hte bushings and mounts for my shifter and still had slop, so a new selector rod and new OEM shift lever is on their way and I'll be very happy with the standard but tight throw...

dale

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only use the oem Z3 shift lever. It works very well for me. For around $60 total, a good solid, inexpensive option.

Dale
sold in 2016
87 325 5spd eta
little herculesE30

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you REALLY wanna keep it real, go with the homemade weighted selector rod.
Talk about quick and painless shifts with the short shift and a rob knob?! Sweeet!!

http://www.understeer.com/cheapwsr.shtml

jamminjames

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary Scheffe wrote:
Ok - At the risk of being banned from this board, I'm going to be the first to "come out of the closet" and admit that I installed one of these on my 87 325...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-Short-shifter-e30-e36-e46-e34-e39-318-325-328_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33736QQitemZ8053287303QQrdZ1

I know, I know, it's kind of hokey, but I wanted to see what the short shift felt like, but I didn't want to spend a lot of money in case I decided that I like the orginal feel better. I've only had it installed for a few days, but so far I really like it. Seemed like a simple design concept and was easy to install - everything lined up, no bending required, and I didn't have to risk giving myself a black eye pulling off my shift knob Laughing . Hard to say how long it will hold up, but for now it's working great.

Is there anyone else out there with the courage to admit that they've installed one too?

Gary - I'll come out of the closet too... I bought one of those last summer and it's still going strong. When I had to replace my tranny a couple of weeks ago I had a chance to inspect it and it seems to still be in pretty good shape. I think e30_325es can back me up on the shift feel - he checked it out last summer when I was up there for a meet.
I made sense to me - longer arm on the bottom equals shorter throw on the top. We'll just have to see how long it holds up.
Whew! I feel better...
"Hello, my name is James, and I'm a cheap bastard. Wink

91 325ic "Tasha" 145K
04 X3 2.5 "Yet Unnamed" 45K
95 Dodge Neon "Beater" Work Car 125K
wazzu70

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone used the IE one? The only reason I would consider using it over the Z3 like dale mentioned would be the collar weight on the shift rod. Its not a bad price either and I dont know of any IE products that have left me wishing it was better.

1984 BMW 325e
1991 BMW 325i
1976 Honda CB400F Super Sport
"The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"
Gary Scheffe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aahh...so there are some others out there who have installed the cheap shift kit - or at least have thought about it.

85-325 - You have slop in your shifter? Are you telling me that the parts that you installed back in 2004, which you made from a plastic milk jug, have finally worn out??? Wink

James - "Hello, my name is James, and I'm a cheap bastard" That's HILARIOUS! Maybe we should form a support group. Glad to hear the the part is still holding up.

Herc - The homemade weighted selector rod looks like a clever idea. Have you encountered any problems with it?
Soviet Sniper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done one recently, used the same set up as Quincy.

Replaced all bushings and selector rod because it was worn, spent 2 days on it, extremely difficult without taking anything off the car. But, possible %)

Shifter is perfect so far,.. I would not go with cheap ones, my repair cost somewhere around $150, the most expensive are the shifter itself and the selector rod.

1988 325is | 199k+ | First car (now s52 powered) Cool
1992 Saab c900 | 200k+ | Winter vehicle
1982 Virago xv920j | 25k+ | Cool
little herculesE30

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soviet Sniper wrote:
I've done one recently....

Hope ya didn't do it in the apartment complex parking lot...... Rolling Eyes
Soviet Sniper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

=)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

That's exactly where it was done Very Happy And hell I'm proud of it. I was laying under the car for hours trying to snap all that clips back on with my skiny hands, simply trying again and again, untill I finally got them. I had kits and bloody scrathes on the outer sides of my hands after I was done %) but, it was worth it.

1988 325is | 199k+ | First car (now s52 powered) Cool
1992 Saab c900 | 200k+ | Winter vehicle
1982 Virago xv920j | 25k+ | Cool
Quincy56

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, getting it all out without removing the driveshaft, exhaust, etc. can be difficult, but as Sniper says, possible. It is easier if you have had experience doing it the easy way with everything out.

I replaced mine on Otis the same time I replaced the clutch, but when I went to drive the car, the selector rod was hitting the vibration dampener and I had the shift lever in backwards, so I had to take everything apart again. Since I had experience taking the clips off and the selector rod front clip (which can be tricky) I think it was a lot easier for me.

John

92 325ic - Isabelle
91 318i - Oscar - RIP
89 325i - Otis - RIP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: