Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

McK - Beer question

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brandon318

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: McK - Beer question Reply with quote

Ok, the first batch we brewed turned out great. However, we didn't filter the beer when it went from the first fermenter into the second (the second then goes to the bottle), so we had a small layer of yeast (?) at the bottom of each bottle. It didn't affect the beer at all; it's just kind of embarrassing. We just finished the second batch, and this time we filtered it through cheesecloth folded over four times in a mesh colander. We still have the layer, but this time it's less. So, my question is, could we filter it through a coffee filter next time, or will that screw up the fermenting that occurs in the bottle?

{FYI, we ferment 10 days in the fermenter; we then switch it over to a second fermenter (this is where the filtering takes place) via siphoning, where we add the sugar; then we bottle right away. We allow it to ferment in the bottle for two more weeks - then it's finished.}

Brandon
BMWCCA #346993
1991 325iC Alpine/Gray
1998 M3 Alpine/Modena
1994 318is (Murdered)
IanG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Clear Beer Reply with quote

I don't think straining is your answer. How do you transfer the beer from the brew kettle to the primary fermenter and then from the primary fermenter to the secondary? If you use a racking tube, or something similar, you will leave most of the sediment behind. If you are already doing this, consider stirring the wort vigorously immediately after you finish the boil and prior to letting the wort sit and cool. This will make the sediment (which is mostly hops and grain) form an inverted cone, which will allow you to rack the beer from the middle of the brew kettle and you will leave most of the sediment on the brew kettle.

Good Luck!
McK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile What he said

A small amount of yeast is normal if you're bottle conditioning (buy a bottle of Belgian Lambic beer for example and look into at the amount of yeast some of those have in them!). Longer secondary (and even tertiary) fermentation time and then care in the racking process is all it takes to minimize settled yeast in the bottle. I've moved on to kegs, but back in the day I've kept mine in secondary fermentation for a month or so and still had pressurized bottles. I would suggest after 10 days in the primary, rack it to a secondary fermenter and leave it for another 2 weeks or so. Then rack it to a sanitized container, add the sugar, and bottle. The longer fermentation time will reduce the amount of active yeast floating in the beer, but will not cause so much of it to settle in the secondary that there's none left for the bottle conditioning.

Another way to get some of the solids out before hitting the primary fermenter is to use a wort cooler. Mine is just a coil of copper tubing hooked up to the sink. Chills the wort a lot faster than letting it sit there in a sink full of cold water, and supposedly helps the proteins and other solids bind together. I then pour the wort through a sanitized strainer into the primary fermenter. But that's not where you're getting your sediment from, it sounds like.

"And also, let's not forget let's NOT forget, Dude, that keeping wildlife... um, an amphibious
rodent, for... um, you know, domestic... within the city. That ain't legal either."
Brandon318

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pour the wort through a strainer when transferring from the brew pot to the primary fermenter. It ferments for 10 days. I then siphon the beer out of the primary fermenter, through another mesh strainer (lined with four cheese cloth layers) into a secondary fermenter. I add the sugar, wait ten minutes, then I bottle. The beer ferments for two weeks in the bottle.

So, by the time it gets to the second fermenter, it's as filtered as it gets. What is the rack you two are talking about and at what stage do I use it?

Brandon
BMWCCA #346993
1991 325iC Alpine/Gray
1998 M3 Alpine/Modena
1994 318is (Murdered)
McK

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racking is that syphoning process Smile It's that technical lingo that we use that makes it all sound much harder than it really is, it's the only way to really impress people heheh

I think you can leave it in a secondary fermenter for a couple weeks of fermentation before bottling. Glass carboys are pretty cheap (~$15) and with a rubber stopper they can use the standard air lock. They make a perfect secondary fermenter.

Oh yeah, and I wouldn't worry about filtering a second time. I only strain the beer when I pour it into the primary. The rest should settle out and be avoided with careful syphoning. Using cheese cloth here increases the risk of contaminating the beer.

"And also, let's not forget let's NOT forget, Dude, that keeping wildlife... um, an amphibious
rodent, for... um, you know, domestic... within the city. That ain't legal either."
Brandon318

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 4

Brandon
BMWCCA #346993
1991 325iC Alpine/Gray
1998 M3 Alpine/Modena
1994 318is (Murdered)
scrat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what happened on the beer outcome.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys piqued my interest. Then a coworker suggested it after a conversation, and that put me over the edge.

I now have 5 gallons of a London Brown Ale bubbling away in the primary fermenter Cool

Brandon318

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!!! Wink

Brandon
BMWCCA #346993
1991 325iC Alpine/Gray
1998 M3 Alpine/Modena
1994 318is (Murdered)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: