Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Car dies out while driving

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick V

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2000 6:47 pm    Post subject: Car dies out while driving Reply with quote

I own a 1989 BMW 318i, 5 speed manual, 2 door coupe.The car sometimes suddenly loses all power when I am driving. The dashboard goes dead (speedo dead, rev dial is dead, fuel gauge is dead)and even if I try and start it while still in motion, nothing happens. I either have to pull over and stop or it just comes back to life whenever it wants. I have even tried to clutch start it while in motion but this rarley works. Has any one ever had or heard of this problem. It is scary sometimes as your are in 1st or 2nd gear and when it goes dead it rocks your body back and forth.
Bill C

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2000 8:21 am    Post subject: Car dies out while driving Reply with quote

Nick

I have a 1985 325e and also have the problem of car dying out. I have found it is related to engine temp. When the car is cold it works fine. As it warms up to about one quarter of the temp gauge it stalls, especially when stopping. When trying to restart it appears there is too much fuel being injected into the cylinders (lots of smoke). When it restarts and I continue to warm the engine to full operating temp the car runs fine. If I stop and the engine cools down to about one quarter again, the car will not start due to excess fuel. As I let it cool more, it starts. Has anyone experienced this and if so how did you fix it? Thanks Bill
Ken Juul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2000 2:51 pm    Post subject: Car dies out while driving Reply with quote

Bill, there are a couple temperature sensors that may be causing your problem. Would check the FAQs on the home page or check Bentleys for location and proper operation.

Nick, I would check for loose or corroded connections. Main relay and fuel pump relays are good places to start,then work through the ignition system. Again the FAQs and Bentleys are good sources of info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: