Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stock to watch
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Stock to watch Reply with quote

I just don't know when it's going to stop.

I bought 1 share at just over $400/share, i think 412.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=GOOG

Let's hope for a split soon!
'89 R100GS for therapy.

JRS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came "this close" to buying 100 shares of it when it hit a low of $274 in 2005. Oh well.

JRS

Is your cup half full or half empty ?
donaldan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$500......$600....within sight. One predictor loudly forecast $2,000 in the next few years. I wish I had bought enough early on so that I can start cashing in bit by bit. In the meantime, I am still accumulating.
MattB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm small potatoes compared to all that guys, but I'd like to pick up another couple of shares of it. The problem is, unless it splits, I can't.

What makes a stock decide to split? Do you see Google splitting any time soon and if so, why?
'89 R100GS for therapy.

JRS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattB wrote:
I'm small potatoes compared to all that guys, but I'd like to pick up another couple of shares of it. The problem is, unless it splits, I can't.

What makes a stock decide to split? Do you see Google splitting any time soon and if so, why?
Never ever buy just one share of any stock unless you plan on one of the following:

1) Having an actual stock certiicate printed and then framed and put on your fireplace mantle.

2) Want that one (1) share that invites you to the stockholders meetings... legally. You own one (1) share - - you own a piece of the company.

Why not buy just one share ?

A) Buy/Sell costs (say) $10 per transaction. That means $10 for BUY and the $10 for sell... or $20 total.

If you factor in the cost of the share ($412), that equates to $432. If you sell GOOG right now @$464/share, you would make $32 or less than 1% gain.

Don't take this comment as an offense or flame towards your investing strategy. However, do take it as a word of advice/lesson.

If the stock is too high for you to buy at least ten (10) shares, then walk away and find another one. I'd love to own ten (10) shares of Bershire Hathaway but I know I cannot (unless I put all of my eggs in one basket). So, I find others within my reach.

Hint: Go look at the share costs of Bershire Hathaway... post that price per share... and let others know. Oh, the leader of that stock has never split it.

Will GOOG split ? Yes. One of the goals of a stock split is to make the stock more affordable. $400+ grabs the elite but there will come a day when they want the average investor to buy in. I'd say in August 2006. Anyone wanna bet against me ?

JRS

panzerkeil302

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying 1 share of a company you believe in is a great way to get rich...as long as you're enrolled in a DRP (dividend re-investment program...drip).

You buy one share, and whenever dividends are paid out, that money buys more shares automatically...drip, drip, drip...you get rich slow, which, at your age, is a great idea.

At 400 bucks a share, your share base isn't going to explode...heck, I don't even know if GOOG issues a dividend. But if they do, you'll pay for your kids college someday.

My stock arbitrator (Mary Calhoun of Calhoun Consulting Group) once told me 2 things were better than sex 1) Compound Interest, 2) Drips.

I guess it really depends on who you are having sex with, though.
panzerkeil302

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, nice buy at 400, it's 465 now!!!! Shocked Wink Very Happy
MattB

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, i'm not offended. That's why I bounce stuff off you guys... you (seem to at least!) give sound advice.

I see your point but if that's the case, i'd need to have about 3-5k minimum per stock trade to play that way. That is unless I buy the cheapies and they double overnight. Symantec was good to me, but that's about where it ends.

Why do you think August JRS?
'89 R100GS for therapy.

donaldan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About DRP, the adage of holding onto a stock may not be suitable anymore. Nowadays, many previously highly desirable companies run into trouble. Disney, Sony, GM & Ford are good examples. Even Google may one day head south. Do the DRP by all means, but keep yourself vigilant. Learn to cash out once in a while.
panzerkeil302

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Learn to cash out once in a while."

Amen to that. There is no such thing as a bad profit. If you sell GOOG tomorrow, and it goes to 500, don't kick yourself - it could have easily gone to 300.
JRS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

panzerkeil302 wrote:
- it could have easily gone to 300.
THAT was my fear when it was $274. No reason why it went from $300's to $274 but I kept thinking "Internet stock". It was 1999-2000 again... so I didn't buy.

As you invest and talk with others, the only true way of becoming a seasoned investor is to dabble. Win some - lose some. Win BIG - Lose BIG.

DRP is great and I agree with Panz - - at your age it is good. But if you plan on 'going in and going out' - - you're trying to be a Day Trader.

But a rule of thumb: A gain of $1 or $1,000,000 is a gain. But it doesn't hurt to go for the bigger gain.... Wink

JRS

MattB

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. for a minute, indulge me.
If the info is too personal, make something up that you think is a good rule of thumb. i dunno... model it on a guy that makes 60k a year or something.

How much do you guys put into your trading funds and do you do it per month, per year, or in lump sums whenever you feel like it?

How much do you move per trade on average?

What percent of your total income do you put away for retirement and why i.e., tax shelters, allowances, etc?

I have no plans on daytrading. right now, goal = finish school. But once that's done and paid off, I plan on picking a percent of income and putting it aside FIRST for retirement/investing etc.
'89 R100GS for therapy.

donaldan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

- You have already indicated your income stream - $60,000/year and a strong track in acquiring gainful vocation.

- What is your lifestyle goals?

- Have you wife/future wife? Kids/future kids? Dependent relatives? Needy friends?

- Current assets? Future inheritance/gifts from relatives?

- Healthy? Hereditary disease? Hereditary longivity?

- Level of investment skill?

One philosophy/model is to invest every penny over and above your cash outflow while you are young and dabble in the highest rewarding instruments. In other words, the baseline says you play hardball and gain maximum experience. As you get older (hopefully wiser), put higher percentage of money in more conservative porfolio. Adjust for all the above listed factors from the baseline, plus for any other factors specific to your situation.

If you are analytical in your aptitude, assign numbers to each of those factors and statistically come up with percentage of money to put aside for investments based on risks.

Sounding blue sky? May be. Dreams are free and highly invigorating. All young men should have dreams galore and vision blazing in their heads. On the other hand, market historically has been up and down. There are all kinds of risks, economic, political and others. One has to constantly strike a balance based on one's specific situation.
JRS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every investment/portfolio is different and modeled towards your current situation. Being younger than I am, my model would not work for you. You also have to look at what's available to you. For example, not all companies have investment benefits. Luckily, mine does.

Focus on finishing your school. Find and start a job. Then ask us the question(s).

A person with lots of debt will have a different investing strategy than a person who has no debt and no kids to support... and then there's the guy born with a silver spoon in his mouth - - you wouldn't believe it but he's also got an investment model.

JRS

scrat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="JRS"]
MattB wrote:

Never ever buy just one share of any stock unless you plan on one of the following:

1) Having an actual stock certiicate printed and then framed and put on your fireplace mantle.

2) Want that one (1) share that invites you to the stockholders meetings... legally. You own one (1) share - - you own a piece of the company.

Why not buy just one share ?

A) Buy/Sell costs (say) $10 per transaction. That means $10 for BUY and the $10 for sell... or $20 total.

If you factor in the cost of the share ($412), that equates to $432. If you sell GOOG right now @$464/share, you would make $32 or less than 1% gain.

Don't take this comment as an offense or flame towards your investing strategy. However, do take it as a word of advice/lesson.

If the stock is too high for you to buy at least ten (10) shares, then walk away and find another one. I'd love to own ten (10) shares of Bershire Hathaway but I know I cannot (unless I put all of my eggs in one basket). So, I find others within my reach.

Hint: Go look at the share costs of Bershire Hathaway... post that price per share... and let others know. Oh, the leader of that stock has never split it.

Will GOOG split ? Yes. One of the goals of a stock split is to make the stock more affordable. $400+ grabs the elite but there will come a day when they want the average investor to buy in. I'd say in August 2006. Anyone wanna bet against me ?

JRS[/quote

totally agree
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: