Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taking the first step!

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
peerless

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Taking the first step! Reply with quote

Ok I did it and look forward to getting started.

https://www.nasaproracing.com/index.html

1 Year NASA Membership $40.00 1 $40.00
TOTAL $40.00

Paid Smile

I have no idea what the events cost and am kinda scared to know. My freinds think I am nuts and that racing is only a rich man's sport. But we will see, I look forward to attending my first driving school Smile

I also still don't know what class to race in. I would like to do specE30 but my new engine is out of spec, so I don't know yet. But I guess thats putting the horse before the carriage at this moment.

Later,

E30 Repair and Maintenance Services
714-398-8405

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
Steve D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peerless - your friends are right to an extent, racing IS NOT a cheap hobby. I built & started racing an E30 prepared for the spec series last spring. I also race with the BMW Club Racing program in the KP class (with a few modifications from the spec setup which are allowed in KP).

Driving schools, however, are not nearly as expensive. Plus the wear on the car is significantly less. Get some decent tires & brake pads, put in ATE blue brake fluid, replace the motor & tranny mounts, and you're set to go to your first school. Eventually you'll want to upgrade the suspension & some other items, but that can be done later.

My advice is to find a driving school with the BMWCCA before going out with NASA. The BMW club does a very good job of teaching the basics, both in the classroom and also on the track with mandatory in-car instructors. I started out doing two BMWCCA school before heading out with NASA. NASA is, in my opinion, designed more so for those who already know the basics of track driving. (BTW - if you think you know high-speed driving but have never been on a track be prepared to be humbled. I most definitely was seriously humbled my first time out!!). One negative, BMW schools are in the $500 range, whereas NASA's HPDE programs are in the $250-300 range. The LA chapter or the San Diego chapter normally hold a school at Buttonwillow, which is a very good track to start out on.

I'm down in San Diego and would be happy to help you with any questions you come across.
Tom Olsson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great point. I did 4 years of lapping / schools before taking the leap into racing.

(1) It's a whole other magnitude of expense. Holy smoke
(2) I thought I was a good driver in the schools (I'm an instructor with the Puget Sound Chapter), and I got humbled all over again. I couldn't imagine going straight to racing. It would be like throwing raw meat at a wolf. I've seen it, and it's not pretty.
07 335i, 91 318is, 87 325is race car #55 Pro-3
Steve D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to a spec miata racer who had done one NASA HPDE before doing the SCCA comp school, buying a racecar, and racing! I told him that either he was an extraordinarily quick learner or was nuts.

Funny story - my first BMWCCA school was at California Speedway - I had a '97 540 at the time. At the Saturday night dinner I was complaining to one of the instructors that my 540 was too heavy, didn't have enough power, and wouldn't turn. He just smiled. The following morning he found me in the pits & offered to take me for a ride in my car to "see what was wrong with my car". I found out very quickly that the car was not the problem - I was! That taught me that I knew nothing about driving, and inspired me to learn.

By the way - I hold a very high level of respect for instructors. There's no way I would jump in the passenger seat with some nut who I didn't know!
mif_slim

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

solo2 will cost way less. Very Happy in my area its onlt 25 bucks per event. Maybe you want to do that first until you get better?
peerless

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I plan on attending my first HPDE at Willow Springs this coming Feb. My car handles pretty good and has good power and I drive it fairly aggressively on the streets. I am sure I am going to get schooled at my first time out. I have been practicing on corner entry and exits when the opportunitys present themselves in a safe manner. I also have been getting a better feel for the loose rear end that likes to come out from under you. Also have a lot of work to do with the heel/toe downshifts and that is improving.

It's just kinda uncomfortable doing it on the streets, this is the main reason and motivation for wanting to do some track events. But most importantly I just want to have some fun in my car without putting myself or the innocent public at risk, let alone crash the car.

This morning it was misting out and the streets where wet and I have to say it was a exciting ride to work. Throttle control seems to really be the trick when the car is getting out from under you. I had it pitched sideways pretty good, more so then I expected but was able to get it under control with just the throttle and some good steering correction.

Anyways enough of my wild street antics, its time to get to the track soon.
I look forward to the offers of help and the great suggestions. I am excited to get started. I realize now from talking to a few people as well as you here on this board that it will be some time before I actually get into racing. Just seeing some of the in-car vids from HPDE 4 in a Porsche made me kinda of timid.

Anyways, its late and I have to pick up more parts for my engine build from the dealer tommorrow.

Thanks Again,

714-398-8405
Steve D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should be at Willow in February as well. If so we could probably sneak out for a ride in my car if you'd like. I have a ton of laps under my belt at Willow & could probably give you some pointers.

You mention trying to prep for the track on the street. Between now & then there are some thing you can do very easily & safely on the street that will help you at the track. One - heel & toe downshift EVERY TIME YOU DOWNSHIFT. Coming up to a red light, slowing for traffic, whatever. If you do it enough it just becomes a habit & you do it without thinking - including on a racetrack when you have plenty of other things to think about. Two - practice looking as far down the interstate as you can see instead of staring at the bumper of the SUV in front of you. On the track the farther ahead you look the slower things come at you, giving you more time to act. I know it sounds goofy to say "practice looking farther ahead", but trust me on this. Three - when driving down a freeway with those little reflectors on the lane dividers that make a 'bumping' sound when you change lanes, let your car wander toward the right side of your lane until you hear that you are running over the reflectors. (Obviously do no do this if there are cars next to you!). This is a great way to learn where your right tires are (left tires are much easier to place, being on the drivers side of the car. Most people think their right side tires stick out much further than they do. That way, when your instructor tells you to put your right front tire within 6 inches of the apex cone, you will have a much better idea as to how close you are coming.

Here to help,

steve
peerless

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on Steve, Thanks for the tips.

I have been working on the heel toe, but not all the time. I will make a habit of it. You know when I took drivers ed. way back when, one of the things my teacher emphesized heavily was taking in the 'big picture'. I have always looked ahead to watch whats happening before I get there. I have to thank that teacher if only for that one peice of advice. I will also try the lane 'bumps' as you metioned as well.

I look forward to meeting you at willow springs. Thanks again for you help and advice.

Thanks,

714-398-8405
Steve D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Robert - you still going to make it to Willow this weekend? I'll be there in my red E30, #31. I'm racing in GTS1, and instructing a friend of mine in HPDE 1. It'll be her first time on-track... Sad

Jeez, it seems like forever since I've been to Willow. I can't wait!!
1989 325is spec e30 / KP race car #31
2000 M5
2001 Dodge Ram - the tow vehicle
peerless

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve D wrote:
Hey Robert - you still going to make it to Willow this weekend? I'll be there in my red E30, #31. I'm racing in GTS1, and instructing a friend of mine in HPDE 1. It'll be her first time on-track... Sad

Jeez, it seems like forever since I've been to Willow. I can't wait!!

Hey Steve,

Sent a PM, but no it doesn't look good for this weekend Crying or Very sad

714-398-8405
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: