Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'91 318i improvements?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thomas Dallal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2000 5:47 am    Post subject: '91 318i improvements? Reply with quote

Need a new muffler and so thought to seize the opportunity to add a "free flowing" one, a new free-flowing intake and a chip. Rumor is I can get around a 15% improvement in peak hp and torque and an all around stronger powerband.

Can anyone recommend the best way to do thi?. I hear the autoauthority chip is the best one but want to know if anyone can confirm. I also want to put on an exhaust that is not too terribly obnoxious.

How about front roll bar? Is it true this is the first obvious suspension improvement?

Finally, this car had the head gasket replaced 20,000 miles - a couple of years - ago. Does anyone know whether this famous foible is likely to repeat itself - I've got 51,000 on it now - or whether the replacement gasket really solved the problem? Is it true I can only use BMW's radiator fluid?

Thanks and cheers, TOM
rduckwor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2000 9:17 am    Post subject: '91 318i improvements? Reply with quote

Tom:

Mufflers are at best a partial solution to increased power. The induction system/exhaust system are the two sides of what amounts to a balanced equation. Both sides have to have work to see real improvement in breathing. Now, that said, the exhaust may make a noticeable difference depending on how restrictive he current muffler is now. Go with your gut and get one that you like and are happy with.

As for chips - I have no special knowledge as to which might be best for this motor. Conforti/Landshark may make one for it and if so, that is generally a good choice.

As for the head gasket - did you have this replaced or was it the PROFILE gasket that requires the head to be pulled for R&R? If it was the profile gasket, word is that the new gasket is stable and lasts. Use good quality Phosphate-free aantifreeze mixed with distilled water only. BMW makes good stuff, but so does Texaco.

Suspension:

Do this in stages as you wish. I would start with good wheels and tires and work forward to achieve what you want to achieve. Stiffer bars and different shocks and spring will definitely change the way the car handles. Remember that you have to live with it in whatever role you happen to use the car in. If it's a daily transporter to/from work, don't get too low and stiff unless you like having you teeth rattled.

HTH
Bob Duckworth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: