Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M owners view: What to do with idle 328?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> M Cars Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TnSlim

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: M owners view: What to do with idle 328? Reply with quote

I am dilemmatized and in search of sage advice. I covet an M and must take a decision on what to do with my non-M Bimmer.

I’m one of those golddigging contractors working in Iraq. I have a ’97 328i (~80K mi) that I dearly love that’s sitting in storage back in the states. The dilemma is over what to do with and/or to it.

From those of you who have M3s, particularly e46s on, and especially if you also have owned or driven an E36 (M or not), I’d appreciate your views on spending good money on the E36 to turn it into a pseudo-M3. A Dinan Stage 3 suspension kit (with upgraded wheels and tires) will set me back about $7K, out the door. The whole Dinan enchilada (w/blower) will set me back $18K, OTD.

I keep coming back to the fact that $18K plus my current car will put me awfully close to a nice E36 M3. Or within hollerin’ distance of an E46 M3. And I can get military pricing on a new M3.

On the other hand, without adding the Dinan badges and with nearly 1/3 more RWHP on tap, it would be something of a sleeper (to say the least). And it’s paid for. All it will cost me between now and whenever is ~$120/mo. storage and insurance. So it will “feel” like the kitted car was free and all I spent for it was the $18K for the mods.

To me, the BMW is not a daily driver. It is neither a babe magnet nor a lawn ornament. It is an instrument of evil. I do not twist her ignition key without there is bad intentions in my heart. So I don’t care if it’s new or if it’s 60 years old, I care about my heart pounding and my palms sweating as I fling it through the twisties.

So. Is upgrading the 328 throwing bad money after good? If you were me, would you sell the E36 ASAP and bet on a late model M3? Or are all the thundering 333HP M3s so superior to all their ancestors that it’s pointless to try?

Your thoughts, opinions and flames are welcome.

donaldan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: M owners view: What to do with idle 328? Reply with quote

I don't know whether you are aware of a major problem with the E46 M3 engine (S54 engine designation). The original connecting rod bearing has to be recalled due to epidemic prematrue failures resulting to oil recircualtion problem eventually causing engine blowup. The recall doesn't seem to correct the problem completely. There has been speculation that the long crank in a straight six produces a slight wobble at the high 8k rpm that may lead to the premauture failure. BMW still maintains the engine can rev to 8k. This was mentioned in an article in the September issue of the Roundel magazine. The author suggests not to rev the engine to over 7.5k rpm. So this is just a private suggestion.

May be you should wait until the whole problem has been sorted out satisfactorily. It may take some time.
scrat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: M owners view: What to do with idle 328? Reply with quote

isnt there an 330 that uses this same engine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TnSlim

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:06 am    Post subject: M owners view: What to do with idle 328? Reply with quote

Thanks, donaldan. I thought the recall had fixed that problem.
B Trusty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: M owners view: What to do with idle 328? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by donaldan:
I don't know whether you are aware of a major problem with the E46 M3 engine (S54 engine designation). The original connecting rod bearing has to be recalled due to epidemic prematrue failures resulting to oil recircualtion problem eventually causing engine blowup. The recall doesn't seem to correct the problem completely. There has been speculation that the long crank in a straight six produces a slight wobble at the high 8k rpm that may lead to the premauture failure. BMW still maintains the engine can rev to 8k. This was mentioned in an article in the September issue of the Roundel magazine. The author suggests not to rev the engine to over 7.5k rpm. So this is just a private suggestion.

May be you should wait until the whole problem has been sorted out satisfactorily. It may take some time.

I remember reading that somewhere. That is also a problem with the 2000 Dodge Intrepids. The hole in the ring bearings, which allow for oil to pass thru, was too small, causing premature engine failure. Of course Dodge is a part of Daimler-Benz...lemme find out BMW and Daimler-Benz were getting those crappy bearings from the same vendor...!
TnSlim

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I’m thinking I’ll do the Stage III suspension and +1 wheels and tires and let it be. Put the difference toward a Cayman or an Exige.
jlevie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there are other, less expensive, alternatives to the Dinan FI kit. I think ESS might offer a supercharger for that engine in the $6-7k range. That should give you a better power to weight ration and an E36 M3 and close to that of an E46 M3. Couple that with a higher ratio limited slip diff and you'd have a real sleeper.

Along the same lines, you can get an equivalent suspension for a lot less than the Dinan kit. H&R springs, Koni Sports, Eibach sways, and adj camber plates can be had for about $1400. And for about $500 more you could do Koni coil-overs. Since your goal is performance, you want to pick the lightest wheel you can find/afford.
Spec E30 #96 (NASA-SE)
TnSlim

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, jlevie. If I were home that might be an option (in fact, I’d love to do the job myself) but what I neglected to mention is that I’m living overseas an intend having the work done before I return to the US. Under those circumstances, I think my best course of action is to hire it done by BMW of BNAshville. I have nothing but praise for them and there are no other ‘generic’ import shops in BNAshville that I hold in high regard. From what I gather there’s nothing wrong per se with the Dinan hardware, it’s just that there’s less expensive ways to do it. My wishing to have it done and waiting when I return outweighs my wanting to save money.

I also intend having the dealer switch to braided SS brake lines. There’s nothing wrong with them as is but I don’t fancy doing that bit myself, and better brake lines give me a head start on planned binder upgrades (which I figure to do myself later).
jlevie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TreeHouse racing is also in Nashville and I'll bet they'd have lots of lesser expensive ideas about what to do with that car.
Spec E30 #96 (NASA-SE)
TnSlim

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treehouse racing, huh? I’m not familiar with them (does the mean I’ve been living in a cave …or in Iraq Wink ) but I followed a few of the hits Copernic came up with and found they have a pretty impressive track record (pardon the pun). Since they have a web site, is should be a cinch to put the question to them and see what they have to offer. Thanks again, jlevie.

This is just another example of why the Internet is such a wonderful place. In fact, I want to move there when I grow up. Smile
Vanos01

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TnSlim wrote:
Thanks, jlevie. If I were home that might be an option (in fact, I’d love to do the job myself) but what I neglected to mention is that I’m living overseas an intend having the work done before I return to the US. Under those circumstances, I think my best course of action is to hire it done by BMW of BNAshville. I have nothing but praise for them and there are no other ‘generic’ import shops in BNAshville that I hold in high regard. From what I gather there’s nothing wrong per se with the Dinan hardware, it’s just that there’s less expensive ways to do it. My wishing to have it done and waiting when I return outweighs my wanting to save money.

I also intend having the dealer switch to braided SS brake lines. There’s nothing wrong with them as is but I don’t fancy doing that bit myself, and better brake lines give me a head start on planned binder upgrades (which I figure to do myself later).

Not sure how familar you are with the surrounding Nashville area but there is a really good exclusive BMW mechanic off of Concord rd. in Brentwood. I can get his contact info if needed. I have taken my car there and the guy (30 yrs of exp) is really good.

"A fast car does not make a fast driver"
TnSlim

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the area well. It stands to reason he'd be in Brentwood. Wink What's the name of the business?

I've E-mailed Raintree but got no response. Their website says they do engine swaps, too. I find the idea of swapping to an S52 much more appealing than blowing an M52 (are S50 B32s available/legal in the US?).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> M Cars Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: