Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E30 J-Stock Suspension?

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
M42boy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: E30 J-Stock Suspension? Reply with quote

Hi gang,

I just bought a nice old 1991 BMW 318is coupe. I love the car and it's in great shape, but still has original suspension and it's SHOT.

I want to upgrade things as I replace them. I'm doing M3 aluminum control arms, M3 bushings, solid rear shock mounts, reinforcing the front subframe and the rear sway bar mounts.

But, also need shocks and springs. I really like the feel of a "matched" set. I was looking online at the J-Stock shock/spring set from Turner Motorsport.

I'm very interested in the J-Stock setup. But, wondering if any of you out there can give me any real world feedback!!

Is it too stiff? Am I going to hate the tradeoff for ride quality? This will be a car that is mostly a street car, but will occasional see the track.

I'm also considering a coil-over setup, but it looks real expensive to get the good ones. Any input appreciated?
mif_slim

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: E30 J-Stock Suspension? Reply with quote

Okay, I dont know much about other springs because I havent been on them (HnR, Blistien etc.) But I know that my Bekker coil overs are pretty nice.. I think it gain'd me afew tenth of a seconds over stock suspension ( cant really tell because everytime I go AutoX its a diffrent course ) its for a pretty ncie price too running at about 500-700 dollars per full kit (front coil overs with springs and struts and rear springs with shocks) it rides nicely on normal road and it doesnt bounce too much because its still in the softer range. I've driven a car that had Tien suspension.. it was a good quality springs.. you can control the shock rating for street or racing. The system cost about 1200-1500 bucks, one thing though, my 580 dollar suspension beat that car by a whooping 2 seconds!..without sway bars.. If you get a set of these with sway bars then I think your car will be perfect street/race car.... My 2 cent.
M42boy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: E30 J-Stock Suspension? Reply with quote

So, you got them from Bekker Imports? That seems pretty cheap for a coil-over setup. I might look into these. I agree on the sway bars as well. Do most people go with the Suspension Techniques bars?

The Turner Motorsports coil-over kits are like $2500-3000!
M42boy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: E30 J-Stock Suspension? Reply with quote

Yeah, I called them. Bekker says they haven't sold a coil-over kit for an E30 in quite a while.

I think I'd do J-Stock over them as I don't need the ride height adjustability and I'm not planning on changing out springs often.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: