Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cut springs on e30 to get more rear camber?

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skrape

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: cut springs on e30 to get more rear camber? Reply with quote

I autocross in the local BMW chapter's events.
I blew my budget putting 15x7 wheels, Hoosier A3SO3's (partly used) and front camber plates on my E30. The front hooked up wonderfully. The rear was loose, and experimenting with tire pressure helped but didn't fix it.
The outside of the rear tires wore badly, making me think I need more negative camber on the rear wheels.
I think the 'proper' fix is a set of Ireland's rear camber adjusters, but it'll be a while before I'm able to afford to buy those and have them welded in.
I know that lowering the rear causes negative camber... Is cutting 1/2 loop or so off the stock rear springs a real bad idea? What about cutting the front springs to match ride height?

McK

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: cut springs on e30 to get more rear camber? Reply with quote

I have always been told that cutting springs is a bad idea. Have you had an alignment after installing the camber plates? I'll admit that I don't know the E30 well, but the factory design on the E36 allows for a surprising amount of rear camber adjustment.
dale

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: cut springs on e30 to get more rear camber? Reply with quote

The E30 rear suspension has no toe, or camber adjustment from the factory.
I've added it to my race car, it's a huge project.
The other way to add camber, is to lower the car.

After market springs, H&R is a good choice, are your best bet for lowering the car safely.
I woudn't suggest cutting the springs.

Look for some used springs on craigslist.org, ebay, etc.

Dale
Skrape

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: cut springs on e30 to get more rear camber? Reply with quote

Thanks guys, this largely confirms what I already knew. I was searching for a 'cheat' but I've recently taken to heart that sometimes the cheap way out is not the best.
I'll save up my allowance for H&R springs...

Thanks Again
Skrape
Chuck Baader

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you are waiting for springs, disconnect your rear sway bar...that will really help the looseness. Chuck
SCCA #36 E30, ITA
BMWCCA #36 E30, MP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: