Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Race Rims & Their Weights

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveITB1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Race Rims & Their Weights Reply with quote

As the buid of my 318i progresses, I am researching my wheel options. I'm sure you are all aware that reducing rotaional weight is one of the easiest ways to increase acceleration and response.

That being said, my sactioning body (SCCA) now allows Improved Touring racers the option to trade up to a 15 inch rim for cars that came with 13 or 14 inch rims from the factory. I am curious what you guys (and gals) run on your cars and the scaled weight of your selection.

I ran aluminum "Circle" rims on my '82 320i. They are 13 inch and weigh in at 8..5lbs each. The only problem I had with them was that it was a pain in the #$%&* for the Hoosier guys at the track to change my tires without bending the rims. They would have to take twice as long to do my rims.

Thanks everybody.

Regards,

Dave A.
dale

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject: Race Rims & Their Weights Reply with quote

All the Pro3 guys here in the NW are using Panasport UL (ultra light) racing only rims. Weight is around 14.2 pounds for our 14x7 size(cost around $200 each though). We'll probably change to allowing 15" rims in 2006.

Here is a great resource from a bunch of weight obsessed car crazies(not a bad thing): http://www.miata.net/faq/wheel_weights.html

Be sure to check for minimum weight restrictions, some classes put a lower cap on wheel weight.

I'm sure Roadstergal will post in a little while a table she has made up of some inexpensive 15" very light wheels.

[ 02-12-2005: Message edited by: dale ]
Roadstergal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Race Rims & Their Weights Reply with quote

Hey, I can't do tables here.
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=15&t=000042
Steve D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Race Rims & Their Weights Reply with quote

I use the ASA JS-1's, which weigh in at 18.5 lbs for 15x7's & are $99 apiece thru tirerack. They ain't the lightest, but I liked the price. Easy to clean, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: