Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

325 ES Information Please

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
schroeder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:42 am    Post subject: 325 ES Information Please Reply with quote

I have found an early model 325ES [in very good shape] that I am concidering making into an Enduro/Club racer.
Coming from Formula Cars I have no clue about this car or its capibilities or if it's even suitible for racing. Can someone please give me some insight in to this car and it's potential.
Regards, Fred
Tom Olsson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:29 am    Post subject: 325 ES Information Please Reply with quote

Generally we shy away from these cars up here in the NW. The car to have is a 325is. Etas (that's what the E stands for) were built for gas mileage. They've got a fair amount of torque, but redline really early. (5500 I think, but could be wrong). So they're not very fun track cars.

That said, you know the drill. You may want to build a fresh motor anyway to be competitive. If that's the case, then swapping this car with an "I" engine is not too hard. One of our team members did it over last winter.
dale

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: 325 ES Information Please Reply with quote

You could race a 325es in SpecE30, but guys in that series are upgrading to the 325i also.
See a posting from a few months back in this forum with the SpecE30 rules.
Most of the guys racing in this class are in Virginia, so not to far from you in Maryland.

Dale
Chuck Baader

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: 325 ES Information Please Reply with quote

If you want to run SCCA, the "e" is an ITA car which I hope will be competitive. If you want to do BMWCCA, that car runs MP (M Prepared). NASA runs GTS 1. As you can see, there are many venues with whom you can run.

They are very torquey...170#/ft stock, but only 121hp. Can't tell you what a SCCA legal motor will make as I have not assembled mine yet. Several people make suspension kits. Your preference..stick with Ground Control for camber plates, others for bushings, etc. Shocks are personal preference and pocket book driven. Koni and Billstein cost about the same with Koni double adjustable. Ground Control somewhat more for the da. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more info.
huberjoshua

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: 325 ES Information Please Reply with quote

Isn't it rue that if you are going to build a spec e30 car, then there are two classes? One is run with the M30 'i' engine and the 4.10 LSD, the other class is run with the 2.7L ETA engine and the 3.73 LSD? I thought that this was the case and am very interested in competing in this latter class because currently I have more than enough parts to build up a car in this class. Maybe after some experience, and money I could build up a 'i' motor and find a 4.10 to compete in the other...
Steve D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: 325 ES Information Please Reply with quote

I'm just learning this stuff myself & am in the process of building a 325is for spec e30 racing. I think I can answer your question, though. You are right about there being 2 classes - SU and SO. The SU class would be the '84-'85 318i and the '87-'88 325 (non-i's) and all e's. The SO class is comprised of all remaining e30's. The suspension setup for both classes use many spec components, including springs & shocks, but some are left open.

Check the regs posted by Dale a while back. (and again, many thanks to Dale for the postings and answering a couple of my questions over the last couple of months)
Steve D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: 325 ES Information Please Reply with quote

Oh, and the e's are stuck with 2.93 gearing; 325i's go with the stock 3.73.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: