Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bodywork has started on Dale's racecar
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cephas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: bodywork has started on Dale's racecar Reply with quote

Dale,
Are they re-installing the bumper rubber to the sides in the rear? Man, I'm excited to see it when its complete and it's not even my car! Very cool stuff with the "porcupine" idea!
dale

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: bodywork has started on Dale's racecar Reply with quote

I'll be reinstalling the black bumper trim.
The stuff I have now is pretty crappy, so I should really look for new or much better condition used stuff.
RedBaron86325

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: bodywork has started on Dale's racecar Reply with quote

A 22 gallon fuel cell? Are you planning to enter in the 12hrs of Sebring without a pit stop?

Correct me if I'm a little off, but isn't that around 175lbs of fuel? The "handling" difference between full and empty would be significant.

Very nice work on your project.
dale

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: bodywork has started on Dale's racecar Reply with quote

6*22=132 or 7*22=154
Yes a big difference between full and empty. The way the car is now with the stock fuel tank, it's very nose heavy. When you build these cars, almost all the weight comes off of the rear of the car, and hardly any off of the front.

Our racing weight is 2650. I weigh 220, that means at the end of the race, my car must weight at least 2430 pounds, or I'm disqualified. Stock weight is aprox 2800, so that's a ton of weight off the rear of the car. That includes adding a 200 pounds roll cage!

Most of our races are sprint races at 30 minutes in length. I use aprox 5 gals of fuel in the race, so the weight change is only 30-35 pounds, not too bad.

Once a year in Portland OR, we have the Enduro, this last year it was 12 hours I think. We can go almost 2 hours with a 22 gal cell, which breaks it up nicely for 6 shifts of drivers.

Dale
dale

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: bodywork has started on Dale's racecar Reply with quote

Purchased the Glasurit paint for the //M stripes, in BMW codes #113, #114, #115.
The shop couldn't lookup those codes so I went to www.glasurit.com and got the mixing instructions for each of these paints and faxed them over to the shop.

I only purchased 1pt of each (500ml), and it was $80 each!! Markdown price of $60, over $190 out the door for all 3 with tax.
Man this is expensive for a cheap guy like me, but it's a fantastic deal!

Interior painted yesterday, exterior paint today, stripes later today, this evening, then clear. I get the car back Saturday!!

A few more pics: http://www.unofficialbmw.com/racing/paint/

Dale

[ 02-20-2004: Message edited by: dale ]
cbeuning

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: bodywork has started on Dale's racecar Reply with quote

Wish I was there to help... soooo bummed

Looking great!!
dale

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: bodywork has started on Dale's racecar Reply with quote

Hey, the car has paint on it!
The interior and exterior are alpine white II.

First the light blues stripe:

Second the red stripe:

Third the dark blue stripe:
... see it tomorrow, it's too damn cold and the paint is taking forever to dry!

Fourth, clear coat entire car.
dale

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: bodywork has started on Dale's racecar Reply with quote

First pics of the new paint!

Check out this page for all the thumbnails size images of the paint job:
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/racing/paint/

Dale
Billo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: bodywork has started on Dale's racecar Reply with quote

Dale,

BEAUTY!

Bill
board_nerd

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: bodywork has started on Dale's racecar Reply with quote

Bitchin'
cbeuning

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: bodywork has started on Dale's racecar Reply with quote

Dale,

SWEET - how's that for getting yourself a birthday present?

c
dale

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: bodywork has started on Dale's racecar Reply with quote

OK, time for another progress report. I've been busy with other projects, so less time to work on this, but that should change soon.

All the pics are here, including a couple of the Challenge Car (notice the tucked bumpers?):
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/racing/paint/
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/racing/challengecar/

Front:

Side:

Rear:

Fuel cell and interior are next. Doors this weekend.

Dale

[ 03-08-2004: Message edited by: dale ]

[ 03-09-2004: Message edited by: dale ]
Billo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: bodywork has started on Dale's racecar Reply with quote

Dale,

Consider powder coating the bumpers gloss white. The silver takes away from your beautiful paint motif.

Bill

p.s. Strokes, incredible job.
Billo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: bodywork has started on Dale's racecar Reply with quote

While I'm suggestin'... Simple and cheap mod.

Make 'em ALL RED!

Bill

--------------------

kav

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: bodywork has started on Dale's racecar Reply with quote

the car is lookin awesome! sooo jealous.

and i agree with billo 100% about the bumbers and lights. it would totally complement the paintjob.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: