Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dale's E30 Racecar is getting ready to paint...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
board_nerd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Dale's E30 Racecar is getting ready to paint... Reply with quote

I like the design on the M3 lightweight (like the car, too)

E36 M3 lightweight
Roadstergal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Dale's E30 Racecar is getting ready to paint... Reply with quote

Something like this, with unofficialbmw and your numbers and class and all of that crap on the side.

dale

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:13 am    Post subject: Dale's E30 Racecar is getting ready to paint... Reply with quote

Hmm...I like it...but... the cross-town rival has something similar:

CULATER

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:15 am    Post subject: Dale's E30 Racecar is getting ready to paint... Reply with quote

Call me crazy but I liked the "Car Club Of America 30th Anniversary" design best.
dale

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Dale's E30 Racecar is getting ready to paint... Reply with quote

Here are a couple of pics on the car, at speed on the track... you could say that cosmetics have not been my first priority before this point. Not that they are now, but it's getting beat up enough that _something must be done_.

These are for Bill, he's volunteered to try p-shopping the car with different colors, etc

I'll try to get some better ones up tonight.

Dale
Roadstergal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Dale's E30 Racecar is getting ready to paint... Reply with quote

I have a few here. http://www.edoghouse.com/cbishop/8_17_03/
peerless

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Dale's E30 Racecar is getting ready to paint... Reply with quote

Ok, I once helped paint a Camaro that ended up looking pretty good.

Basic white paint, then taped off and painted a checker board pattern(White/Black) along the bottom half of the car. The trick was that the closer you got to the rear the checkers started to tilt and at the rear the checkers where made to look as though they where coming off the car.

Looked fast standing still. That was the overall effect. Sorry no pics or references, but I think you get the idea.

Robert
85 325e
kyshadetreebmw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Dale's E30 Racecar is getting ready to paint... Reply with quote

Hey Dale, I liked those last couple of pictures better than ones you have posted before of the car in action. The car was always sideways before, with smoke burning off the tires???
dale

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject: Dale's E30 Racecar is getting ready to paint... Reply with quote

Notice how low that bad boy is? 4" springs in back! At one local track I was bottoming out too much, so I raised the rear 1/2" and now it clears. Very very stiff.
Cephas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Dale's E30 Racecar is getting ready to paint... Reply with quote

Dale,
Jet-black with the M-stripe sounds cool. But I am a huge fan of a deep blue color. Whatever route you go, definitley get unofficialbmw's site name on the car.

P.S. How about some info on the car?
I assume you are using the M20 "i" engine, where is the roll-bar from? What's the diff ratio/what brakes are you using, and suspension?
That looks like a lot of fun.
dale

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Dale's E30 Racecar is getting ready to paint... Reply with quote

Some info on the car:

Engine:
Head shaved to raise compression to 10:1
Stahl Header
Conforti chip
Alternate between using stock AFM and a Mass Airflow system depending on which class I'm running. The Mass Airflow adds 12rwhp on the dyno

Suspension
Ground Control coilovers
GC's Advance Design double adjustable shocks
Suspension Techniques swaybars
Urethane bushings everywhere

Tires/wheels
225/50/14 Toyo RA1 (great tire!)
14x7 Panasport ultralight racing wheel
or 14x7 Borbet Type C(I think, got the last set in the USA, discontinued)

Safety
Custom roll cage by NASA engineer(no kidding!), which includes ladder bars out into the drivers door.
Sparco seat
Sparco steering wheel
5-pt harness
10 pound fire suppression system

Drivetrain:
Stock 5speed with Redline
4.10 LSD with Mobil 1
Custom Z3 1.9 shift lever!

Brakes:
Stock calipers and rotors F&R
Bimmerworld backing plates up front
Carbotech PantherXP brake pads(love these!)

Weight reduction:
Sunroof mechanism removed and cover rivited in place
All sound deadening removed
All interior except dash and front seats removed
50 pounds of ballast added to make class weight of 2650 (includes driver, 220pounds) car itself weighs under 2400 pounds!

It's fun!

Dale
Cephas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Dale's E30 Racecar is getting ready to paint... Reply with quote

Dang,
A NASA engineer huh? What was his/her specialty there (what kind of engineering)? That is some cool stuff. What ECU system do you use to run the engine with the Mass Airflow sensor? SMT-6?
Overall it sounds like a killer car. I have been looking into this a bit. It's a great start to a much better breathing engine.
dale

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Dale's E30 Racecar is getting ready to paint... Reply with quote

I keep using the stock DME with the Mass Airflow. It has a conversion box with a rich-lean dial on it. It converts the value it gets from the Mass Airflow Sensor, to the range the DME expects, so the DME still thinks there is a flap style airflow in place.

Regarding the NASA engineer, the car was built by a BMW fanatic in Orlando, FL, that guy knew him somehow. Very cool guy I bought the car from by the way. Very active in the CCA in that area.
Anyone here in the Sunshine Bimmers chapter? You'd probably know the guy.

Dale

Dale
Roadstergal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Dale's E30 Racecar is getting ready to paint... Reply with quote

Have you decided what base color you want? Since the offset M-color stripe is too close to KTR's, I was thinking the green Diebels - you'd the only green E30 out there.

For visibility, Bill's will be hard to beat.
dale

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Dale's E30 Racecar is getting ready to paint... Reply with quote

I'm pretty commited to a white base with some kind of stripage. Probably ///M colors, but just not certain the best way to do it.

My #1 choice is still that very first pic at the top of this posting, the Castrol car. Perhaps with "Unofficialbmw.com" instead of Castrol.

Dale
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: