Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bentley for a BMW...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JRS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Bentley for a BMW... Reply with quote

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/04/21/crime.bentley.reut/index.html

First and foremost.... if I was 17 and drove in a 2002 M3, why the heck would I want a Bentley ? And was he thinking that the $42K for an M3 would be enough downpayment for the Bentley ? And finally, how would he finance the remaining cost for the Bentley?

17.. and drives in a 2002 M3...

JRS

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
MattB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Bentley for a BMW... Reply with quote

he he he.
i see these 17 and 18 year old girls (IF even that old) driving the big, new 540i with fancy wheels to school in Tampa. there are 2 or 3 different cars.

they drive em like young girls do... hard. without a clue as to how to treat a car.
one girl i've seen will cruise the parking lot for 10 minutes waiting for a spot and slowly coast along. I've seen her drop it in reverse going almost 10mph forward and stomp on it... squeal the tires to get back and take a spot. makes me cringe.

naturally, she drags it over curbs and bangs the door into the next car without a second thought.

makes me sick sometimes. have to walk away and try not to be jealous.

However, there is a BEEEE-UUUUU-tiful 635is (i think "is") that parks in the teacher's lot sometimes. gorgeous car.
panzerkeil302

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Bentley for a BMW... Reply with quote

at 17 I had a 1977 Volkswagon Rabbit.

No AC..no power windows...rusted holes in the floorboards. It was awesome.

....those newer M3's must really stink
JRS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Bentley for a BMW... Reply with quote

At 17, I was driving my Dad's old Chevrolet Caprice Estate Station Wagon. A true 'boat' with enough car-cancer that the spare tire was hanging. My next car was a Nissan Sentra.. and then the RX-7.

Yea, the new M3's stink... toss one my way.

JRS
MattB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Bentley for a BMW... Reply with quote

at 17 I was driving the same beetle i have today.
learned to drive on it in fact a couple years prior. Have not found a superior car to date.

Panz... the rabbits were tooootally where it was at. definite chic magnets.
LarrygP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Bentley for a BMW... Reply with quote

At 17 I was driving a 1951 Chevy Bel Air, no floor in back, passenger side door would fly open on left turns....good part was I would put a $1 worth of gas in a week. $0.24 gal. I paid $80 for the car.
Jack21

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Bentley for a BMW... Reply with quote

At 17 I couldn't drive a car because it would have been illegal.
peerless

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Bentley for a BMW... Reply with quote

HeHe my first car was my 68' Mustang. Oh man, you talk about being in love with a car!
I built a screaming 400HP 289 with a built C4 and 3.25 9" Diff. Ye ha, I would do burn outs all the way down the street in front of the school, stupid I know but hey I was 17! Man I was on top of the world! Never got me any chick s though :-( Probably becuase I had auto shop 3 periods a day :-) and always smelled of grease, gasoline, and oil.

But ya it kills me to see silver spooned kids getting anything they want and yet not have the slightest appreciation for it. I actually knew one girl that was from a rich family and she had a bit more sense and started with an old VW bug :-) Boy, she sure did fix it up nice, even took autoshop 1 semester and helped me change my motor mounts. Talk about falling in love!

PS Almost bought a black 66 VW bug instead of the mustang.
panzerkeil302

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Bentley for a BMW... Reply with quote

ummmmmmmhummmm!

Nothing like a woman who knows a lot about "mounts"

oh come on, I had to do it....
peerless

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Bentley for a BMW... Reply with quote

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/04/21/crime.bentley.reut/index.html

By the way, do you think his mom is a little pissed off! And her car is now stripped.

Damn rich kids, got cash but no brains!

danecastro

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Bentley for a BMW... Reply with quote

Haha, what a noob. I bet he is kicking himself now though.

No more car for him to thrash up.

All because of Hip-Hop to. *sigh*
rld777

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Bentley for a BMW... Reply with quote

At 17 I had the awesome privledge of driving a Ford Courior pickup truck. It was a 4-on-the-floor, and even shifting hard withthe throttle nailed, it could *barley* get up to 55 mph by the end of a rural Illinois entrance ramp to a freeway. Top speed was 72 mph, period. Fenders would actually flap in the wind at the bottom as they detached due to rust, and toward the end of the time I had it the little Ford 2.3L used a quart of oil every 50 miles! I bought non-detergent SAE-30 (cheapest avaliable) in cases at Farm & Fleet to keep it on the road!

Of course a failed hood latch, failed exhuast system, and even a failing AM-only radio couldn't keep me from enjoying my first ride. Man, simplicity was awesome!
panzerkeil302

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Bentley for a BMW... Reply with quote

"Man, simplicity was awesome!"

funny you should mention that...nothing like being able to park your car with the windows down and not have to worry about it being stolen...and if it's dinged, it just adds character
Henry

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Bentley for a BMW... Reply with quote

Can't drive in NYC at age seventeen. So the awful bus and fragrant subway for me. Waited till 20 for first car. A 1956 VW bug convertible. On long term loan from a friend for part of the summer. He spent 20 minutes teaching me how to use a stick and to downshift...then off on my own. Figured either I learn to shift then or forever never learn. I learned very quickly.
rld777

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Bentley for a BMW... Reply with quote

panzerkiel,

In fact, the ignition switch device failed as well (how much really CAN fail on a car with no options?!) so I actually left the keys in the truck most of the time. The switch itself would fall apart onto the floor and one would have to very carefully re-insert the pieces to get the key back in. I would have felt bad for anyone who "stole" it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: