Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interest in 1989-1991 M3 *HELP*

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bimmer115

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2000 10:21 am    Post subject: Interest in 1989-1991 M3 *HELP* Reply with quote

I've never posted before but have long admired the 3 series in its various incarnations, and I'm currently thinking of eventually buying an E30 M3. I'm not familiar with the overall parameters of the car's performance etc., but I have some specific questions that only experts/owners like you would know:

1. How would you rate the car's overall reliability? I've read that the 24 valve 2.5 was one of the most reliable of the modern era Bimmer engines, but I don't have many sources to corroborate this. Any major problem areas overall?

2. How effective is the air conditioning? I live in Georgia and I've heard that some of the 3 series suffered from impotent and/or unreliable aircon systems.

3. Was the car improved mechanically during its production run, or did the HP/torque?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Evan
uberpanzer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2000 7:29 am    Post subject: Interest in 1989-1991 M3 *HELP* Reply with quote

I own a '90 M3, and it is GREAT! If you can find one in decent shape, pick it up. The engine has not given me any serious problems, other than a water pump that failed, after being in storage for almost a year.
As for spec differences over the years, the only differences were in the European versions. All US bound models came w/the 'regular' 2.3L engine, producing @190hp stock. Europe (mainly Germany) got up to a 2.5L making as much as 230hp. If you REALLY need that power (and who doesn't?), Turner Motorsports offers 'factory' stroker kits using BMW crankshafts, etc. Dinan offers 2.5 and 2.6L packages, but they are NOT cheap. Also seem to be new engines, not yours rebuilt, so you get what you pay for.
A/C...I have had to have my system recharged twice since I've owned the car, since it was sitting in storage for some time while I was out of the country. I live in Southern California, where the summers are not too kind either. It works well, as long as you keep the system in good order (read money). Also be aware that it runs on the old freon system that might need to be replaced with the new one if your pump/compressor goes out. Not sure if it is a law there or not, but my service rep at the dealership told me that the EPA (I think) mandates the upgrade/replacement if the old system goes. Not chaep, he quoted me like $700 for it. But it might also just be a CA thing. Good luck. And if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to email me...I'm always happy to answer questions about this wonderful car!
bimmer115

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2000 1:18 pm    Post subject: Interest in 1989-1991 M3 *HELP* Reply with quote

Yeah. thx for your reply...About the interior do you like the styling...I am so so about it i think that it is a little old old and too european...And is the Stock M3 emblems placed all over the interior i imagine. I am not to sure if i want to purchase something like that...Well i know that i will GO BMW but i was looking at like 92 93 325 2 dr. and well the price on that is pretty hefty. Then i referred to a 94 318is and they are much cheaper but they lack so much in the performance area.. with like 140 hp...So i decied to do some homework on older M3's..

And did they ever produce and M3 with an automatic in the E30...???

Thanks a lot... maybe you could send me some pics of your M3 If you would?
Keller@kconline.com
-thank you
-Evan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: