Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

differential, transmission tool

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dale

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: differential, transmission tool Reply with quote

I've been needing to get a 14mm stubby hex bit (aka diff tool) for a while now. Since I couldn't find one locally, I decided to make some.

As long as I was doing one, I figured I may as well do all 3.

BMW transmission and differentials have either a 10mm, 14mm, or 17mm plug holding the fluid in.
I made all 3 by buying an allen wrench in each size, and 2 3/8" drive sockets in each size.
I used my bench grinder to chop off the last inch on each end of the allen, and I'll put each of the 1" ends into a socket.
This gives me a total of 3 diff tools in each size. See the pic for a graphic example of what I did.

Cost? Well, if you buy 3 bits from Ultimate Garage made by Facom, it will set you back at least $65.
I spent an hour making these and it cost about $8 each($4 allen, $2 for each socket), total $24. And I have 9 tools for that $24 instead of the $65 for 3 tools. I like it.

Dale

for more pics, see this link http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/diff-tool/

[ 03-26-2004: Message edited by: dale ]

[ 03-26-2004: Message edited by: dale ]
Greenhornet84

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: differential, transmission tool Reply with quote

Cool deal. My son still curses the day that we had to pull the trans and He said "Dad, I owe you". He just didn't know how much he was paying back.
Mark
edjack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: differential, transmission tool Reply with quote

You're a Clever Guy, Dale!

I've found also that so-called "coupling nuts", available from hardware stores, can be selected to fit.

They are several times longer than a conventional nut, and are used to j0in threaded rods.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: