Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

i need help..am i getting robbed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> BMWs for sale

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vcoleman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: i need help..am i getting robbed? Reply with quote

hey i wanted to know if i am getting a godo deal buying a 1993 bmw 525i for 4999 with 180,000 miles on it.. please let me know ASAP
going to see about the car next week.
--------------------

thanks for your help... i dont have anyone to go with me and it has no warranty from the shop because even the dealer stated that the car had too many miles on it.. so i guess that is my answer.. i dont know.. i need help.. and its one of those buy now pay later places and i already put down 400 dollars!
Soviet Sniper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: i need help..am i getting robbed? Reply with quote

Well, hope it's not too late to answer.

You decide... Mine 88 325is had 188k on it when I got it last summer. I only paid $1000 for it. Sinse then, I've changed: Shocks - rear, timing belt, water pump, thermostat, new battery, new plugs, motor oil (two times), rear bumper (was broken), hood shock, drive belts, got new spare wheel, bought a ton of tools (this is the first car in my life, I did not have nothing to care for it), I also treated a lot of rust, and fixed many old things like fog lights and so on.
Thought I did everything myself(except the rear shocks, I saved a lot of money, but the car still cost me a lot.
Besides all that, the car still needs: muffler (the whole line is very rusty), new distributor (goint to do it soon), new radiator hoses and other hoses (doing some of them this week)... The power steering is leaking bad, but working. And many other minor things could be improved.
I'm just trying to keep it in safe useable shape and fair look.

Now the best part is, I love the car, And I guarantee that you will love yours if you will buy it. But are you up to caring for it? You will have to spend time and money, "the car will stand but you will spend" and it will be worth it.

The things I wrote, are nothing comparing to things some people here who restored their cars to the perfect point do. But that's the whole different story.

About buying it, do not worry about the mileadge. These cars are being sold with 300k on them, so I expect my engine will go up to it If I'll care for it ontime. Change oil and stuff and do not race it.

Check how the car looks, it's body condition is 75% of the cost. Then mechanical, check the fluids and everything, you will have an idea how people cared (if they did) for the car before you. Make sure the engine is not leaking anything (poot some newspapers under it over night and check for spots in the morning). Check it's interior, how worn is it. check it all over inside out. check the shocks (bounce the car on all four sides). check the wheels, rotors and pads, check it's gas tank (mine is leaking when full), check it's trunk under the rug, there can be some water... Theck the drivers floor under the carpet, it should be dry... There is a lott to check for. Take it for a ride, listen to the engine, check every single electrical thing for working ability and so on.

And, the last, if you are buying from the dealer, ask to cut the price. I would never buy from the dealer myself, I prefer privat sellers. No insuranse but you know what you are paying for. If you have a mechanick friend, take him with you.

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> BMWs for sale All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: