Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which one should I buy? 90/91 318is or 325is

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marksv4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2000 4:49 pm    Post subject: Which one should I buy? 90/91 318is or 325is Reply with quote

Am looking to buy a 3 series from 87-91 and am wondering which model. Does anyone know the hp of each engine? Is the 325 worth the extra weight etc. Any pros and cons much appreciated, I am new to these models, currently own a 1982 320i with 255,000 km.
Thanks for all the help

Mark Douglas
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
rduckwor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2000 9:33 am    Post subject: Which one should I buy? 90/91 318is or 325is Reply with quote

Mark:

It really depends upon what you want. The 325 is a very smooth car. That M20 small six is a nice solid motor. About 168BHP in the "i" verion (ETA motor - about 135 BHP but 170 Lb FT of torque) The car is a bit heavier and not as quick in turning as the 318iS. The '91 318iS has the dual overhead cam four at about 138 BHP and a motor that is somewhat buzzy but winds to the 6K redline like a bat out of hell. So, do you want to cruise or cut? The 318iS is a real sharp handler with light responsive stearing. The 325 is a really nice car with lots more power and a pretty good handler in it's own right.

Not an easy choice. One caveat: Do get a 1991 or newer 318iS. The 1990 if I remember correctly may not have had teh dual overhead cam motor. Not certain, but you can easily tell by looking under the hood. If it looks like the M10 motor in your 320i, walk away.

Good Luck,

Bob Duckworth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: