Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E34 front suspension

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 9:05 pm    Post subject: E34 front suspension Reply with quote

More and more every day. I've fairly recently got my first BMW ('94 530i) and has already faced an array of challenges that are fun to solve, outside that disturbingly lighter feeling in the wallet.

This time around, just after replacing the shocks/struts, I realized that the car jerks under emergency braking. It did not take me long to figure that the best way to replicate this front-suspension noise is to tap on the brakes consecutively at 30 mph. It sounds like the front suspension on both sides shifts back underneath the body, making it feel like something has hit the car from behind. Noise is sharp and very audible.

My mechanic told me without even looking underneath, that it is the upper control (thrust) arm bushings--a common problem on E34. It appears that I'm looking at the upper arms replacement.

Has any of you, guys, experienced this problem and was it indeed the upper control arms? I also wonder if it makes sense to replace other soon-to-be worn out elements in the front. The car has 95K miles.

Your advice is highly appreciated.

Max
whitensx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2001 8:20 pm    Post subject: E34 front suspension Reply with quote

It certainly is a real common problem. One of your options is to replace them with polyurethane ones from BMP Design (in Texas, I think). They will last longer, and I did not feel any difference between them and the factory ones. You do not need to buy new arms. They press in pretty easily if you have access to a press, that is.
edjack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2001 8:31 pm    Post subject: E34 front suspension Reply with quote

Check these sites for more info on maintaining E34s:

http://silverstone.fortunecity.com/ferrari/464/

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main.htm
maxus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2001 11:29 am    Post subject: E34 front suspension Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I've replaced the thrust and control arms on both sides. The problem disappeared and the car's suspension is healthy again. Now I can truly enjoy the BMW quality of ride it was meant to be.

I just went ahead and bought the E34 arms with pressed-in bushings from 750iL. The arms also came with ball-joints, which is great. Prices were $30/ea. (control) and $60/ea. (thrust) + 4 hours of labor.

My personal observation is that the E34 front suspension design of BMW is less durable than that of some other auto makers, even the "less prestigeous" ones. I know that for a fact by experience with M-Benz and Toyota. E34 would not last long on less-than-perfect roads.

Thanks everyone for the input.

- Max
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: