Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Headlights Intermitten at Night

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
charliesmith

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2001 1:09 am    Post subject: Headlights Intermitten at Night Reply with quote

Pat,

Any difference if high beam is selected? Do the lights come back on after the headlight switch is cycled off/on? If so, sounds like a headlight switch is defective or a loose switch wiring plug. Verify wiring plug is making positive contact. Possible ignition key switch actuated headlight relay. Does the problem occur after hitting a bump in the road or even while cruising on smooth pavment?

buddiec

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2001 5:31 am    Post subject: Headlights Intermitten at Night Reply with quote

It sounds like your lm module that controls your lights it is located in the engine compartment where the fuses are located @the drivers side shock tower. It is the long module make sure it is pushed all the way in makeing good contact,if so remove the module a little force may be necessary, if you have any electronic and or solder ing experience these modules are known for cold solder joints and cracks in the solder remover the cover and inspect the joints if any suspected flow some new solder in them if it looks okay get a magnifying glass as they can be tricky to see.
buddiec

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2001 5:32 am    Post subject: Headlights Intermitten at Night Reply with quote

It sounds like your lkm (light control module) module that controls your lights it is located in the engine compartment where the fuses are located @the drivers side shock tower. It is the long module make sure it is pushed all the way in makeing good contact,if so remove the module a little force may be necessary, if you have any electronic and or solder ing experience these modules are known for cold solder joints and cracks in the solder remover the cover and inspect the joints if any suspected flow some new solder in them if it looks okay get a magnifying glass as they can be tricky to see.
edjack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2001 9:49 am    Post subject: Headlights Intermitten at Night Reply with quote

Might also try replacing the headlight relay.
vallo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 6:47 pm    Post subject: Headlights Intermitten at Night Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my 530 it turned out to be what is commonly called Dry Joints in the control unit which is situated on the left hand side of the engine compartment,it took my Auto Electrician just 40 minutes to rectify
quote:
Originally posted by Pats525i:
I have a 1990, 525i. Lately, the headlights go out suddenly while driving at night. I switch the LIGHTS 'OFF' and 'ON' again to try to turn them on again, while all along attempting to get off the road and stop at a safe location. Is there a loose wire, switch or relay that could be causing this?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: