Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Programming Keys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> X Cars Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dale

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Programming Keys Reply with quote

I bought a new key for the X5 a few weeks ago, and thought I'd share the info I found on initializing the remote control feature.
The sheet the dealer gave me failed to mention the 'all keys must be done sequentially portion'. When I initialized the 1 key using their procedure, the other key stopped working!

--------

Message Title: Re: Programming keys...
Posted by: Jim Cash on 2002-07-25 at 21:42:09
(posted from: Host: hse-montreal-ppp141224.sympatico.ca IP: 64.228.205.151)
Ahhh - the Re-initialise process.

Following is the process as it applies to my car (97 model)

If yours is later check the manual - they started putting the proceedure in after several years, and the process may have changed for the latest version of the keys (which I assume you do not have because you have a battery in it).

Cheers
Jim Cash

---------------------

Remote Key Re-Initialise - If a key fails to operate remotely, it will have to be re-initialised (all keys in sequence at the same time)

- Get in and “close all doors”

- Turn ignition on & off quickly (no more than 5 seconds) to start the process. Next action must take place within 30 seconds

- First key - hold down button #2 (unlock) while striking button #1 (lock) three times. Release button #2. Confirmed by door lock operation.

- Repeat for second key within 30 seconds of first.

- After last key then cycle the ignition on/off to finalise the process (not necessary to start the engine.

Both keys should now have new "randomly selected" security "code words" - asigned by the car's system.
Those codes will be continuously incremented within the new sequence each time you hit a button. It is when they get out of sequence with the car that they loose the capability to be recognised and you then have to do this again.

That occurs when you take longer than 1 minute changing the battery, or if you hit buttons more often the 1000 times when it is out of range of the car.

Cheers
Jim Cash
idanity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Programming Keys Reply with quote

wholley bollie..

what a mess...i do prefer the infra-red keys of mercedes/lexus...these days..

i recently smashed the 740il too...ughh..

i needed a new bumper molding=38 bucks..can you believe that?...even painted too..straight from the dealer..i love bellevue
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> X Cars Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: