Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wheel bearing noise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> X Cars Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ualdep

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Wheel bearing noise Reply with quote

Hi, about 2 days ago I postedthis? & got an email notice but cant find it on BB. '01 X5 31K. I have hum/resonate noise in left front end 57-65mph that incr when turning to the right ie loads the left wheel. The lead BMW mech says its a wheel bearing. his boss :CSM mgr says tires cupping. Doesnt want to repair it free out of warrnty even tho problem was reported IN Warrnty. What say you? Tks, UALDEP

[ 08-18-2005: Message edited by: ualdep ]
Brandon318

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Wheel bearing noise Reply with quote

Hmmm, that's a toughy. I'm honestly not sure what you should do. But, if you haven't noticed, this is sort of a slow board, so if nobody chimes in in the next few days, repost this question onto the E36 board. Since it's basically a warranty question, they should be able to help you out.
donaldan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Wheel bearing noise Reply with quote

You didn't say what kind of diagnostic procedure the dealer performed to arrive at their divergent conclusions. In many instances, bearing noise is detectible when the car is on a lift and the wheels are spinned, or in motion. Furthermore using a stetscope enables one to hear the noise magnified. Obviously, tire cupping is visible. Did you see the cupping? Or, the service manager points out the cupping? BMW dealers get paid for their warranty work. There is plenty of incentive for them to do warranty work. It would be stupid for them to avoid necessary warranty work.
idanity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Wheel bearing noise Reply with quote

a good way to KNOW its bearing and not tires is these steps..

first
jack up the car enough to get the rubber off the ground..
and
put a jack stand under the frame-(4 safety_)
and
spin and punch the rubber tire, WITH your fingers on the springs...

if you feel ANY vibration..= bearings - races

if you feel solid nothing...then know that these bearings are really strong..

meaning i drove on a really LOUD bearing failure (after a hard U-TURN into a pot hole) and i kept on driving in it for weeks...

when i finally did bring it to a brake shop they inspected it and said that SOMEDAY i will have to replace it..which i did that weekend but POINT IS... not to worry until it makes a constant whine all the time...
then
its easier to track it down..

it could/may be your tires..
it may be your alignment..

but if it is your bearing, understand that unless you hear a loud whine it will last a while..maybe years?

and
if it is in your WARRANTY...
then bring that paper w/you and DO NOT LEAVE until they fix it..

i mean get a friggin banner and bring your kids to PICKET the dealer until they supply you w/help..
if you have it in writing..you are right...

there should not even be any arguments...

not even a hesitation...

just a 'WOW- OMY...LETS GET THAT FIXED NOW!!!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> X Cars Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: