Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Reset oil/service lights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> X Cars Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
frogger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:42 am    Post subject: How to Reset oil/service lights Reply with quote

Hi all. New to the X5. Just bought a 2001 3.0 X5 and have a couple questions.
1) How do I reset the oil light? Is it the same as the 95 and 96 BMWs? I have one of each and have the tool to reset them, but on this car, I cant find anywhere that the reset tool would go.

2) I have a first key that only starts the ignition, not the motor unless I insert the second key, turn ignition on, then remove. Then the first key will start the motor. Whats wrong?

Thanks a lot for any help.
frogger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: How to Reset oil/service lights Reply with quote

Its so empty in here, I can here an echo.
comanr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: How to Reset oil/service lights Reply with quote

i don't know how u can do it as i dont have any x5, but if u know how to reset a 96 520 please reply
bye
frogger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:08 am    Post subject: How to Reset oil/service lights Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by raszvano:
i don't know how u can do it as i dont have any x5, but if u know how to reset a 96 520 please reply
bye

You need to buy the tool that plugs into the circular fitting in the engine bay.
KC Ron Carter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: How to Reset oil/service lights Reply with quote

Later models have no external batteries.
But I will include that information for the lurkers.

SI reset and batteries

With the ignition switch at (position two) and the engine not running, grounding pin seven #7 of the diagnostic connector to pin one #1 for approximately three (3) seconds will reset the oil service lights. Grounding pin seven #7 to pin one #1 for approximately twelve (12) seconds will do an inspection service reset.

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/reset1.gif

1. Ground
4. Temperature sensor
7. Reset
8. TDC sensor yellow
9. TDC sensor shield
10.TDC sensor black
11.Start signal
12.Alternator charging excitation voltage
13.Ignition coil
14.Alternator charging supply current
15.Oxygen Heater

It will signal an oil change need between 5k and 7k depending on your indicated speed since the last reset. It will signal stealer inspections at all the predesignated miles.

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/electrical/e36_reset_service_lights.html

SI Board Swap Out

Last but not least - the SI Board. Above is a new SI Board with lithium batteries and below is the old one. Note the blown battery on the old SI Board (green circle). The light blue rectangle shows the actual service indicator LED's which appear on your dash display. These LED's are mounted on a separate circuit board which must be pulled out of the old SI Board and plugged into the new one. This is an easy task. The purple arrow shows the orientation of the SI Board relative to the driver.

If it fails to reset then you need batteries.

Varta battery 500RST OE part.

Radio Shack: part number 23-191: $6.49 for set of two; they come w/solder tabs on them.

1.2 volts / 700mAh

Charge fully B4 installation on SI board.

Consider mounting batteries "remotely" under dash, etc. in separate holder for easy removal in future (i.e. not pulling the console out and apart); you can buy a plastic holder at RS. Run leadwires from holder to SI board connections. Makes life easy if you ever need to replace batteries again.

From Radio Shack, get:
1) You'll need a twin AA battery holder ($3)
2) 2 AA NiCAD rechargeable batteries ($6)

Later,
igillott

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Ron Reply with quote

The New 2004 + X5 has a flat plug under the Right Hand Knee of the Driver (RHD Models) that has a RJ11 or 45 type socket in the external cover. It does not have the older round type of plugs shown on this site for resetting the Oil Service. A quick Google Image search for OBD + BMW brings up lots of Euro sites that have a device for resetting service intervals, looks like a device with 3 led, and I suspect they just ground out the pins as described in the earlier model reset instructions. MY Question is does anyone know which pins to ground or if this is correct.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> X Cars Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: