Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

advisability of warranty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> M Cars Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gcoughlin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: advisability of warranty Reply with quote

I just bought a used (62000 miles) M3, salvage title, about three weeks ago. The dealer, who seems an honest enough fellow, is offering me a warranty for 36,000 miles or three years, bumper to bumper, for $4,500.00. Does this seem like a good thing to do? I'm not much of a mechanic, and I'm not rich. Any (serious) advice appreciated; any unserious advice enjoyed.
gcoughlin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: advisability of warranty Reply with quote

I forgot to say the car is a 1998 model.
528eguy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: advisability of warranty Reply with quote

who's warranty is it ??? i havnt heard of an extended warranty company that would warranty anything on a totaled car
edjack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: advisability of warranty Reply with quote

What specifically does it cover? Most extended warranties are not worth the fancy paper they're printed on. May want to put that $4500 in a growth stock, for later repairs.

Any idea why the car is salvage? An M3 will cost more than any other 3 series for maintenance and parts, since it is a unique model, and many parts are specific to it. If you are a good car wrench, buy a Bentley's, and maintain it yourself.
gcoughlin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: advisability of warranty Reply with quote

The car was hit on the left side and had the left front body panel, the hood, the radiator support, and a few other non-moving parts replaced. I do not know who the warranty would be with (though I could find out). I did not realize, being a newbie, that the M3 is unique when I bought it. I got it 3K below blue book, even taking into account the salvage title, so I went ahead with the deal. In any case, I found a mechanic recommended by a friend whom I think I can trust. He thought the warranty was too high. So I think I have answered my own question, though I appreciate the feedback. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> M Cars Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: