Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E36 M3 fuel gauge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> M Cars Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomemba

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: E36 M3 fuel gauge Reply with quote

The fuel gauge on my '99 M3 stopped functioning properly. It is stuck slightly above the 1/4 mark even though I just filled the tank. The car has 52k miles and is dead stock. Until now, I've had no problems at all. Has anyone experienced a fuel gauge malfunction? What was the remedy?

Thanks for your help.
Cheers
edjack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:02 pm    Post subject: E36 M3 fuel gauge Reply with quote

Some models have two tanks - don't know about yours. If so, it's possible that the sending unit in one of the tanks is defective.
dale

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:55 pm    Post subject: E36 M3 fuel gauge Reply with quote

I had the gas gauge flake out on my '95 M3 one time when I left the key in the ignition and radio on while filling the tank. I just continued on towards empty, ignoring the 11 gallons I had just put in.

The dealer pulled a fuse to reset some computer and everything was fine. Fuse #21 for 10 seconds solved it for me.

Nick G had a different experience: http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/engine/e36_fuel_guage_stuck_on_empty.html

Tips from Brett: http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/interior/e36_more_fuel_guage_problems.html

My notes: http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/engine/e36_fuel_send_description.html

Dale
DaveB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:28 am    Post subject: E36 M3 fuel gauge Reply with quote

My fuel gauge refuses to work properly every now and again, despite having both fuel senders replaced. Pulling the fuse appeared to solve the problem fro a couple of weeks, but then it started recurring again. I will return it to the dealer soon and post their latest fix.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> M Cars Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: