Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

check engine light

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> M Cars Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drichard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject: check engine light Reply with quote

Hello all-- just purchased (about 2 weeks ago) a 97 m3. 64000 on the clock and it runs great.

The problem is --my wife just called and she said the "check engine" light came on. There is no obvious problems with the idle or running and I was wondering what exactly does the light mean?

I have noticed that it seems to be a quart low on oil. Could this cause the light to come on?

Also is there an easy way to read any stored codes with out having the dealer do it?

The only other thing I have done to the car is remove the tube inside the airbox that was connected to the frame by the radiator. Would this cause THAT much of a difference that the a/f would be thrown off?

Any help is appreciated.
drichard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: check engine light Reply with quote

ok --thanks for your help-- I just got the car back from the dealer who says the code that came up was gas cap not tight. While I'm glad that it wasn't serious I am looking at this in a funny way. Something that small affects the whole car? geez!!
douvoodoo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:26 am    Post subject: check engine light Reply with quote

Hey DRichard, fyi, the dealer lied to my on several occassions. My car is out of warranty now, and I avoid that place like the plague. Anyway, invest some money and get an obd-2 cable (http://www.obd-2.com), download their software, grab a laptop with a serial port, and find out for yourself what codes your car is throwing. You can also monitor variables from your motor (Timing Advance, long term fuel trim, O2 sensor voltage, you name it). A very useful investment. Anyway, my 2 cents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> M Cars Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: