Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Technical Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> M Cars Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
icebergonice13579

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 2:45 pm    Post subject: Technical Help Reply with quote

I purchased a 98 M3 recently. I was trying to do the oil change myself. The problem is that I can't find where the oil filter is. Can anyone help? Second Question: what is the idle rpm for m3? My car shakes a little bit when it is at idle. the idle RPM is at a bit above 500rpm. I was wondering whether the car shakes because the rpm is too low. Otherwise, what else can be the problem other than the rpm and alignment?
edjack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 3:13 pm    Post subject: Technical Help Reply with quote

Is there an aluminum cannister on the front of the engine, with a black plastic top? If so, that's where the filter element lives. You'll need a 36 mm socket to remove it.

Loosen the top until the O-ring is visible, and let the oil drain back into the pan before pulling it out. Have a rag handy to catch any drips.

The M3 is a high-performance car with a rather lumpy cam. The newer BMWs all idle slowly. My 540i runs 500 RPM, too. This lowers emissions.

A computer-controlled engine can idle more slowly.

A dealer may be able to program a higher idle speed. You might inquire.

On the other hand, there may be a vacuum leak somewhere, but unlikely with such a newer car.
Cammo...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:01 pm    Post subject: Technical Help Reply with quote

Hi, I also would like to change my own oil and filter on my 1998 M3 SMG. I cant fine the sump plug. Do I need to take the lower sump gaurd completly off to get to it?

Cammo......
bedema

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:59 am    Post subject: Technical Help Reply with quote

Oh yes!!! I suppose your car is euro version, not the 332i from US. You definitely need to remove the wind deflector to get to the drain plug!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> M Cars Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: