Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ADDING DVD AUDIO INPUT TO M5 W/DSP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> M Cars Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary Al

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 6:04 pm    Post subject: ADDING DVD AUDIO INPUT TO M5 W/DSP Reply with quote

I have a 2001 M5 with DSP (no factory sub) I added a JL Audio sub and mono amp to this system without any problem, this really improved the sound system.

Next I added a DVD 5 disc changer into the trunk. I was really excited because the unit also plays MP3 and DVD audio. I had the work done "professionally" and they did a beautiful job with four screens, two in headrests and two in visors. They even made velcro covers for the headreasts so the units are not visible when not in use. My problem is the SOUND! They could not figure how to get to any aux. inputs on the amp so they just sent the output of the DVD changer to a CD Tape input. This is a fake cassette tape with wires! The sound is rotten and the volume is low as well.

My idea is to identify the preamp outputs for the tape player at the head unit. I want to cut them and tie them into the dvd preamp outputs instead. I realize this would eliminate my ability to play a cassette tape but I have not done so in YEARS. In fact, I think it was really stupid of BMW to put in a cassette play on a $70,000 car! This should have been a single CD player!

Can ANYONE help me by either:
1) Identifying the L/R channel preout wires from the Cassette preferably with colors and pin numbers in thr trunk where they feed into the factory amp.

2) Give me a better way to get a two channel output from the DVd player into the Factory amp...is they an aux input?

3) Should I replace the factory amp with an aftermarket unit that has at least one aux input?
PJK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 8:03 pm    Post subject: ADDING DVD AUDIO INPUT TO M5 W/DSP Reply with quote

quote:
You might consider an RF modulator as used on some aftermarket CD changers. Of course you will be limited to FM fidelity.

Phil

Originally posted by Gary Al:
I have a 2001 M5 with DSP (no factory sub) I added a JL Audio sub and mono amp to this system without any problem, this really improved the sound system.

Next I added a DVD 5 disc changer into the trunk. I was really excited because the unit also plays MP3 and DVD audio. I had the work done "professionally" and they did a beautiful job with four screens, two in headrests and two in visors. They even made velcro covers for the headreasts so the units are not visible when not in use. My problem is the SOUND! They could not figure how to get to any aux. inputs on the amp so they just sent the output of the DVD changer to a CD Tape input. This is a fake cassette tape with wires! The sound is rotten and the volume is low as well.

My idea is to identify the preamp outputs for the tape player at the head unit. I want to cut them and tie them into the dvd preamp outputs instead. I realize this would eliminate my ability to play a cassette tape but I have not done so in YEARS. In fact, I think it was really stupid of BMW to put in a cassette play on a $70,000 car! This should have been a single CD player!

Can ANYONE help me by either:
1) Identifying the L/R channel preout wires from the Cassette preferably with colors and pin numbers in thr trunk where they feed into the factory amp.

2) Give me a better way to get a two channel output from the DVd player into the Factory amp...is they an aux input?

3) Should I replace the factory amp with an aftermarket unit that has at least one aux input?

Gary Al

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 10:18 am    Post subject: ADDING DVD AUDIO INPUT TO M5 W/DSP Reply with quote

OOPS! I forgot to mentio in my original post that the "professional installers first tried the FM modulator device and it sounded worse the the cassette tape input device.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> M Cars Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: