Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

oil change-1st time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ramone

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 8:28 pm    Post subject: oil change-1st time Reply with quote

I own a 99' 323. While I have always changed the oil with previous cars, this will be my first oil change on this baby. Could I get some tips (i.e. where the heck is the filter, what size filter wrench to use, etc., etc.). Thanks friends!
W604275

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 2:49 pm    Post subject: oil change-1st time Reply with quote

Hi Ramone

Just picked up my '99 323 this side of the pond with, wait for it, just 8k miles on the clock, and a list of options like you wouldn't believe...

Anyway, it's nowhere near an oil change yet but the dealer stressed using 'fully synthetic' oil - Castrol SLX was recommended. Hope that's some help.

Regards

Jon

Hey, and the only place I've ever been to in the States is Plano TX, would you believe..!
Ramone

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 1:21 pm    Post subject: oil change-1st time Reply with quote

Jon:
Congrats on the new baby bimmer. I've already changed the oil on mine, using, of course, the recommended BMW oil. It was easy, so if you want tips on yours, let me know. Also, I've heard from those in the know that the oil should be changed before the car recommends it @ 15k. More like every 10K.

So, you've been to Plano, TX. How strange.

Cheers,
Seth, a.k.a. Ramone (see [url=http://www.thegobos.com)]www.thegobos.com)[/url]
donaldan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 1:55 pm    Post subject: oil change-1st time Reply with quote

If you have the straight six engine it is probably the M52 engine family which has a oil filter cylinder that contains a replaceable cartridge. My 1997 528i has that engine. The oil filter of my car is the replaceable cartridge type sitting in a black cylinder next to the right front of the engine, very close to the VANOS cam actuator. Make sure to use only BMW filter cartridge which also comes with o-ring and washer for the drain plug. The BMW filter is well known to be superior to all the popular aftermarket filters. It is also very reasonably priced.

Make sure that the filter cylinder looks clean and has no debris in it after you have removed the cartirdge and all the internal structures are intact. There has been incidence of broken internal structure.

I change oil around every 3,000-4,000 miles irrespective of the instrument light indication and use Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil. Wal-Mart occasionally has sales on Mobil 1 at $17 plus per 5 quarts bottle. The oil always appears very clear after 3,000 miles. I hate seeing sooty oil which means a lot of carbon. If the oil change light comes on early, I do it just the same. It is the cheapest insurance for a long running engine. I use a pump to draw the oil from the dipstick opening so I don't have to crawl under to unscrew the drain plug. It takes upwards of 50 minutes to draw the oil out but it is very clean and takes the whopping 7 quarts out of my engine, all the way to the last drop.

The pump I use is called Top Side Oil Changer available from BMPDesign for $49.95. Toll free number: 1-800-648-7278. Ask for their catalogue for BMW. You can also order BMW filter from them, with a slightly lower price than my local BMW dealer. But considering shipping cost, you may find it more convenient to buy the oil filter from you local dealer.

Good luck and have fun.
Ramone

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 2:28 pm    Post subject: oil change-1st time Reply with quote

Thanks Don! That oil pump sounds great, I never thought I'd be able to work on the car standing on my own two feet.

Seth
W604275

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 3:05 pm    Post subject: oil change-1st time Reply with quote

The Gobos... cool! esp. "Hotel California" - listening to it right now; better than the original!!
Ramone

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2002 6:51 am    Post subject: oil change-1st time Reply with quote

Thanks Jon! There's more where that came from. We should have another album out by next Fall. The Gobos website should be a regular Jukebox by then!

-Seth
Alen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 7:09 am    Post subject: oil change-1st time Reply with quote

Hello guys ,
NEVER USE AN OIL PUMP!!!!!!!!!!
All the **** that's on the bottom of the engine
(very smal iron particles caused by friction in the cylinders fall down to the bottom around the drain plug that is magnetic just because of that). That's why you have to drain it normal way !!!
Believe me I heard it from people that did it 20 years and they know for sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: