Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1999 323i humming noise in engine compartment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sphudson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 2:59 pm    Post subject: 1999 323i humming noise in engine compartment Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

I've got a 1999 323i with about 45,500 miles. Whenever I press the gas pedal, a slight, but brief, humming noise is heard from the engine compartment. I also hear this whenever I turn off the engine.

The hum is brief (<1 second). The sound appears to be coming from the top part of the engine.

Any ideas? (could it be the timing belt?).

Thanks in advance,
Stanford Hudson
USA
zoidJoker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 4:46 pm    Post subject: 1999 323i humming noise in engine compartment Reply with quote

I also have a 1999 323i and encountering the same problem with a humming noise coming from the engine when I turn the engine off or give it some gas. I recently changed my belts but with no luck the humming is still there. I believe that the heat plate under the exhauster near my headers creates the noise. I have inspected the heat plate and have found that it is lose on one of the corners. I have not had a chance to fix it but when I do I will keep you posted if it fixes the problem.

P.S Be aware that you should change your belts every 70,000Km or so, if not you will get loud scretching sounds on hard accelerations
rld777

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 8:53 am    Post subject: 1999 323i humming noise in engine compartment Reply with quote

Hello,

Not too sure about this, but is there a chance that sound is a fuel pump or lift pump? I recall that on many late-model Chevrolet trucks, the fuel pump is rather noisy, and will run for a few seconds ater engine shutdown to prepare the system for the next start-up. Haven't noticed this on my current E-36, perhaps it's different on the E-46. Just a thought...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: