Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does anyone know how to STOP THE MILEAGE COUNTER?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivdogg67

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 3:38 pm    Post subject: Does anyone know how to STOP THE MILEAGE COUNTER? Reply with quote

A really good friend of mine would like to know how to stop the mileage counter of her 1999 BMW 323i.

She doesn't know a lot about computers, so I told her I'd be glad to help her find out. I know this is kind of illegal, though, right?

Well, anyway, I want to know how and if anyone has any links on websites that teach you how to do it...

If anyone knows how to do this, please reply back... it would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

-- Ivan
charliesmith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 4:27 am    Post subject: Does anyone know how to STOP THE MILEAGE COUNTER? Reply with quote

dogg,

Have your "friend" park the car in the garage. Mileage accumulates very slowly there. I think that's legal.
charliesmith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 4:32 am    Post subject: Does anyone know how to STOP THE MILEAGE COUNTER? Reply with quote

dogg,

If the mileage police show up on your doorstep you were just kidding....right?
davistld01

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 7:56 am    Post subject: Does anyone know how to STOP THE MILEAGE COUNTER? Reply with quote

dogg,
I'm in the car business, and believe me that is very illegal. In fact, that can be considered fraud by deception if she ever tries to sell or trade the car with the odometer reset. Even if it were't illegal, it is absolutely unethical!

I do hope you were just kidding though.
DaveB

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 3:39 am    Post subject: Does anyone know how to STOP THE MILEAGE COUNTER? Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong here, I wouldn't condone this sort of thing at all but:
When I bought my E36 from the dealer I was taken to one side by a technician (who I know, indirectly through a friend) and offered "an extra fog light switch, hidden up in under the dash that will cut the appropriate signal to the instrument cluster". I declined his generous offer! There are side effects: you lose your speedo, speed sensitive intermittent wipe and the wipers will no longer switch from on to intermittent when you stop. Anyway, it may be easy but don't do it.
BTW - I went to Ft. Lauderdale in November last year, it's a great place, especially Hooters on Las Olas Riverfront!

[ 04-07-2002: Message edited by: DaveB ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: