Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is service upgrade from 3Yr/36K to 4Yr/50K worth it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
saurabm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 2:47 pm    Post subject: Is service upgrade from 3Yr/36K to 4Yr/50K worth it? Reply with quote

Hi Experienced Ones!,

I recently bought the BMW 325i and in the process of make payment arrangements. I am considering adding the optional 3Yr/36K full service maintenance to 4 Yrs/50K. This upgrade costs about $600. Based on my research, the only 'scheduled' service is at 45,000 which is Oil service that should be about $120. But I have heard that brakes, flushes, etc come up after 36K and would be even more if I do not take the upgrade. What do you guys feel? I am sure that there might be people out there who are in the 4th or the 5th year and would have come across this? Please help ASAP as I have to take this decision ASAP!!

Thanks a ton! Love this Message Board.
Bobcat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 6:56 am    Post subject: Is service upgrade from 3Yr/36K to 4Yr/50K worth it? Reply with quote

BMW uses soft rotors and hard disc pads (good braking) but you have to replace the front rotors and pads every 36k. Which is a $500 job by a dealership. So if your not a DIY, and the sevice warranty in deed covers the front brakes. Consider it.
HTH, Bobcat
saurabm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 7:03 am    Post subject: Is service upgrade from 3Yr/36K to 4Yr/50K worth it? Reply with quote

Bob,

What is DIY? What about the rear brake pads?

Bobcat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 5:38 am    Post subject: Is service upgrade from 3Yr/36K to 4Yr/50K worth it? Reply with quote

DIY= Do it yourself
HTH= Hope this helps
Front brakes (do not qoute me) does better than 75% of the braking. The fronts need to be done more often/first.
HTH Bobcat
saurabm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 4:27 pm    Post subject: Is service upgrade from 3Yr/36K to 4Yr/50K worth it? Reply with quote

Guess, in that case I am down to guessing whether my rear brake would die on me after 36K and before 50K (in the 4th year). Anything else needed in the 4th yr or after 36K besides Oil service?
Bobcat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 8:07 am    Post subject: Is service upgrade from 3Yr/36K to 4Yr/50K worth it? Reply with quote

My opinion....
Warranty will run out before the rear brakes do, unless you do a lot of short trips (downtown driving) compared to (highway driving)

HTH Bobcat
saurabm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 8:47 am    Post subject: Is service upgrade from 3Yr/36K to 4Yr/50K worth it? Reply with quote

Bob,

Thnx for your reply. With rear brakes costing around 450 and Oil service around 150, I think, I can take a chance with not taking the service upgrade coz then the worst case, it seems is that I shall break even, right. I am planning to set aside $ 600 for the 4th yr in my bank for such things. What do u say?

On the other hand, do the rear brakes definitely go bad after 36K and within 50K?
FowVay

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 8:32 pm    Post subject: Is service upgrade from 3Yr/36K to 4Yr/50K worth it? Reply with quote

Saurabm,
I believe your concern about the brake components is a bit unwarranted. Brake wear is solely dependent upon useage. If you drive primarily on the motorways then your brakes are going to last much much longer than if you drive exclusively in the city. I routinely get in excess of 75,000 miles from a set or rear brake pads and rotors. Front sets don't last quite as long but again, this all depends on the use that YOU put on the vehicle.

As for financing the cost of preventive maintenance into the vehicle loan,, this is simply not good financial action. This goes in line with financing your appliances of your house into the mortgage and paying 30 years for your refrigerator. It might seem like a good idea at first but it just doesn't make economic sense.

I hope that you enjoy your new car and good luck with the BMW dealerships,,,, they've proven less than impressive to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: